The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
what is a laser?
- a very intense beam of light that carries a great deal of energy
- can cut through human body tissue and seals blood vessels
what are lasers used in?
- medicine, for: eye surgery
- removal of birthmarks
- removal of cancerous tumours
what are x-rays used for?
can be used to find broken bones
how does an x-ray work?
- a beam of x-rays is aimed at the patient
- since bones is more dense than the surrounding tissue it absorbs more x-rays
- a shadow is cast on the photographic film placed behind the patient
- the x-rays blacken the film, so the bones show up white and any breaks as dark lines
what is a computerised tomography?
- a series of horizontal x-ray images are taken of the body
- a computer then uses these slices to build up a 3-D image of the body
- this enables small tumours to be found very accurately and provides more detailed images than conventional x-ray pictures
what is infrared radiation?
simply heat radiation with a wavelength longer than that of visible light
what is infrared radiation used for?
to speed up the recovery of injured muscles and tissues
what is ultraviolet radiation?
- radiation with a wavelength shorter than that of visible light
- excessive exposure can cause skin cancer
what is a thermogram?
infrared radiation is used in a thermal imagingcamera where object at different colours on a picture