The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
a drawing-room comedy crafted with artifice and elegance.
- a clever trick or stratagem; a cunning, crafty device or expedient; wile.
- trickery; guile; craftiness.
Simon was an artless child.
- free from deceit, cunning, or craftiness; ingenuous
- not artificial; natural; simple; uncontrived
She begrudged her friend the award.
- to envy or resent the pleasure or good fortune of (someone)
- to be reluctant to give, grant, or allow
Einstein was blase about his early discoveries, he was interested in new concepts.
- indifferent to or bored with life;
- unimpressed, as or as if from an excess of worldly pleasures
They have a callous attitude toward the sufferings of others.
- insensitive; indifferent; unsympathetic
- made hardened
He's such a capricious boss I never know how he'll react.
Ralph's comely appearance gave him an advantage in the running for leader
- pleasing in appearance; attractive; fair
- proper; seemly; becoming
Relatives of prisonors commanded an investivagtion to delve into the issue of prison conditions.
- to carry on intensive and thorough research for data, information, or the like; investigateto dig, as with a spade
America is know for its rich diversity in culture.
- variety; multiformity
- difference; unlikeness
The endless lecture produced an unbearable ennui.
a feeling of utter weariness and discontent resulting from satiety or lack of interest; boredom
It is expedient that you go.
- proper under the circumstances
- tending to promote some proposed or desired object
- conducive to advantage or interest, as opposed to right
Most children read an expurgated version of Grimms' fairy tales
- to amend by removing words, passages, etc., deemed offensive or objectionable
- to purge or cleanse of moral offensiveness
In the hours between night and morning, the frenetic pace of city life slows to a lull.
Let's leave a generous gratuity for the waitress since the service was outstanding.
- a gift of money, over and above payment due for service, as to a waiter or bellhop; tip
- something given without claim or demand.
The evidence manifests the guilt of the defendant.
- readily perceived by the eye or the understanding; evident; obvious; apparent; plain
- to prove; put beyond doubt or question
The extra expenses were negligible.
so small, trifling, or unimportant that it may safely be neglected or disregarded
He had a sudden qualm about the success of the venture.
an uneasy feeling or pang of conscience as to conduct; compunction
I found myself in a quandary from choosing either vanilla or chocolate icecream
a state of perplexity or uncertainty, especially as to what to do; dilemma.
Animals replenish their food supplies for the incoming winter.
to make full or complete again, as by supplying what is lacking, used up
You must submit the requisite forms by Monday in order to be considered for the position