Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
Indications of ciprofloxacin?
- Complicated UTIs
- Bone or joint infections
- Meningococcal prophylaxis
Precautions of ciprofloxacin?
neurological -may induce seizures
Adverse effects of ciprofloxacin?
Rash, itch, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pain, dyspepsia
Dosage of ciprofloxacin?
Oral, 250–500 mg twice daily. Maximum 1.5 g daily.
Counselling for ciprofloxacin?
Ciprofloxacin is absorbed best if you take it 1 hour before, or 2 hours after, meals; drink plenty of fluids while taking it.
- Dairyproducts, antacids, iron, zinc or calcium supplements may reduce the absorption of ciprofloxacin; do not take them within 2 hours of a
- ciprofloxacin dose.
It may increase the effects of caffeine in some people; you may need to reduce your caffeine intake.
Avoid sun exposure, wear protective clothing and use sunscreen.
Indications for chlorampheincol?
Severe typhoid/paratyphoid fever when quinolones or broad-spectrum cephalosporins are unsuitable
Precautions of chloramphenicol?
Combination with other drugs causing bone marrow depression increases risk of toxicity.Haemolysis may occur in G6PD deficiency
adverse effects of chloramphenicol?
Nausea, vomiting, headache, reversible bone marrow suppression
Dose of chloramphenicol?
12.5–25 mg/kg every 6 hours. Maximum 4 g daily.
Counselling of chlorampheniol?
- Tell your doctor if you get pale skin, sore throat, fever, tiredness or weakness, or unusual bleeding or bruising in the months after you stop
- taking this medicine.
Indications for trimethoprim?
- Empirical treatment for uncomplicated lower UTIs
Precautions of trimethoprim?
Drugs that cause potassium retention
Avoid in first trimester of pregnancy
Adverse Effects of trimethoprim?
fever, itch, rash, nausea, vomiting, hyperkalaemia
Dosage of trimethorpim?
300 mg at night for 3 day for uncomplicated UTI
150 mg at night.for prophylaxis
Indications for Triamcinolone, neomycin, nystatin and gramicidin?
Precautions of Triamcinolone, neomycin, nystatin and gramicidin
perforated ear drum
Adverse effects of Triamcinolone, neomycin, nystatin and gramicidin
allergic dermatitis after prolonged use, particularly with neomycin and clioquinol
Dosage of a Triamcinolone, neomycin, nystatin and gramicidin
- 3 drops 2-3 times daily
- or if using ointment, apply 2-3 times daily
Counselling for Triamcinolone, neomycin, nystatin and gramicidin
If you develop ringing in the ears, hearing loss or difficulty with balance, stop using this medication and tell your doctor.
Contraindication for influenza vaccine?
anaphylaxis to eggs - contraindicated
Precautions to influenza vaccine?
Acute illness - ensure patient is well before giving
Adverse effects of invluenza vaccine?
fever, malaise, myalgia, headache (these reactions may last 1–2 days)
Dose of fluad
- >65 years 0.5mL
- Intanza- 18-59years 0.1mL
- Panvax H1N1 older than 3, give 0.5mL
- 6 months - 3 years 0.25mL
Counselling of influenza vaccine?
- Tell the person/parent/guardian:of the need to remain in area for at least 15 minutes after vaccination
- how to manage common adverse events that may occur after immunisation (provide a contact phone number for reporting significant adverse
- effects occurring within 24–48 hours of vaccination)
- that routine use of paracetamol to prevent fever, at the time of vaccination, is no longer recommended except for children with a history of seizures
- that tepid sponging of child to reduce fever is no longer routinely recommended as it may cause vasoconstriction, reducing heat elimination
- and increasing temperature
- the date of next scheduled vaccination (preferably in writing).
Indications for rifampicin?
- Other mycobacterial infections
- TB with other drugs
Precautions of rifampicin?
Treatment with combined saquinavir and ritonavir—contraindicated.
Adverse effects of rifampicin?
- Arthralgia and myalgia, - in first few weeks
- headache, dizziness, drowsiness,GI symptoms, range/red colouration of body fluids
Dose of rifampicin?
600mg or less daily
Counselling of rifampicin?
- Rifampicin is absorbed best if you take it at least half an hour before food. Take it regularly, as stop–start dosing can cause flu-like illnesses.
- Regular blood tests
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview