Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Figure of speech in which a part stands for a whole
Substiution of some attributive or suggestive word for what is actually meant
- Repetition of a word in two different senses
- "If we don't hang together, we'll hang seperately"
- Use of a word understood differently in relation to two or more other words
- "The ink, like our pig, keeps running out"
Substitution of a descriptive word or phrase for a proper name or of a proper name for a quality associated with the name
- Use of words alike in sound but different in meaning
- "Ask for me tomorrow and you will find me a grave man"
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview