The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Factors affecting Self concept
- Internal resources- humor, organizational skills, intelligence
- External resources- Support system, financial, support systems
personal feeling & self eval of ones worth
expectations of behavior accepted by society
Principle of Development
person develops the means of maintaining integrity of the self in altered circumstances; meets demands of environment without causing undue distress to self or others.
- Self actualiztion- reach full potential
- safety and security
- biological integrity- air, water, food, rest
continuous development of realistic self concept
maintain stable ID in variety of situations over time
adapt to internal and external stress and achieve maximum patential
Risk factors to high level of wellness
- self-concept stressors
- physical stressors (chronic illness)
- substance abuse
causes changes in the normal balanced state of the body.
- growth enhancing
- over stressed
- Situational (divorce)
- maturational (having a baby)
2 responses to stress:
- Local Adaptation syndrome (only part of the bidy)
- General Adaptation Syndrome- total body response.
- 1. alarm reaction
- 2. resistance
- 3. exhaustion
- 1. Alarm- I/C HR, O2 intake
- 2. Resistnace- body tries to recover
- 3. Exhaustion- stress over time causees this, chronic epi and nor epi is bad for the body.
Psychological responses to stress
Ego defense mechanisms
compensation, conversion, denial, displacement, identification, regression, intellectualization, projection, rationalization, reaction formation, sublimation, dissocation, introjection, undoing, repression
take into oneself the behaviors of others
exaggerate opposite behaviors from true feelings
available coping strategies
change avoidance, exercise, habitutation, time blocking, time management, environmental modification, guided imagery, progressive muscle relaxation, journal writing, breathing techniques.