Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- True Bacteria
- Peptidoglycan cell wall
- Contains all the pathogentic prokaryotes and most soil and water bacteria.
Domain Eukarya includes what 4 kingdoms?
Protista, Fungi, Plants and Animals
- Have flagella sometime during life cycle
- Include protozoa
- Incl. unicellular yeast and multicellular fungi (mushrooms we eat)
- Absorbs organic matter through plasma membrane
- Cells in multicellular fungi joined to form hyphae
- Most fungi lack flagella
- Fungi develop from spores or other hyphae fragments
- Include multicellular algae
- Use photosynthesis for energy
- Include worms
- Obtain nutrients and energy by ingesting organic matter through a mouth of some kind.
Methods of classifying and identifying Microorganisms
What scientists do
- List of characteristics and means for comparison to aid in
- identification - Bergey's Manual
What we do
- Figuring out what organism it is for practical purposes of treatments
- of infection. Not necessarily done with same means as classification.
One of first steps for ID
Gram stain - 1st
Acid fast stain - TB
The possession of various enzymes as determined by biochemical tests.
Also selective and differential media is used.
Ex: peroxide test - did it bubble or not?
- Use antibodies in a variety of ways to either detect presence of
- microorganisms or past infections.
DNA fingerprinting, Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR)
Can tell relatedness of organisms. Improves classification schemes.
- DNA fingerprinting used in epidemiological studies of source of outbreaks.
- PCR used to detect small amounts of organisms or organisms not detectable
- by conventional culture techniques.
- (you can get some false neg. & false pos.)
Occur in grape like clusters
Staphylococcus aureus - named for golden color
- Causes many diseases such as food poisoning and toxic
- shock syndrome.
- Grow under high osomotic pressure and low moisture. Grows on Mannitol salt agar
- and Staph aureus ferments mannitol.
Produce toxins that contribute to pathogenicity-enterotoxin involved
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview