The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is the language of a 4 mos old like?
What would be a red flag?
1. squealing & yelling. Mamama, dadada WITHOUT MEANING.
2. No sound at 4 mos is a red flag. Assess hearing
Spitting up is usually a result of overfeeding. This is a common concern for most parents of infants. What are some advices to parents?
- 1. Frequent burping helps: 2-3x/meal.
- 2. If reflux, sit them upright for 30 min after feeding
1. When should we start iron-fortified cereal in an infant?
2. When should we introduce cups in an infant?
3. What do we introduce next after iron-fortified cereal?
4. What is one important rule about introducing different type of foods to an infant?
- 1. 4-6 mos
- 2. 6 mos
- 3. Pureed, vegetables, fruits
- 4. Introduce one food at a time for 4 days before introducing another item
What are some fine motor skills a 3 y.o can do? (4)
- Undresses self
- Copies circle/uninterrupted motion
- Builds tower of 9 or 10 cubes
- Holds a pencile in writing position
How's the language of a 3 y.o like?
- 1. Over 900 words, so ENCOURAGE TO READ & TALK.
- 2. CAn say name, age, gender,
- 3. 3-4 word sentences
- 4. Speech is usually understood by those who know the child, about half understood by those outside family
What are some gross motor skills a 3 y.o can do? (5)
- 1. climbs well
- 2. pedals tricycle
- 3. runs easily
- 4. walks up & down stairs w/ alternate feet
- 5. bends over easily w/o falling
What are some gross motor skills a 24 m.o can do? (5)
- 1. Runs
- 2. Kicks balls
- 3. Stands on tiptoe
- 4. Carries several toys, or large toy while walking
- 5. Climbs up & down from furniture W/O assistance
What are some fine motor skills a 24 m.o can do? (5)
- 1. builds tower of 6 or 7 cubes
- 2. right or left-handed
- 3. imitates circular & verticle strokes
- 4. scribbles & paints
- 5. puts round pegs into holes
How many hours of sleep & rest should a toddler gets?
14 hrs of sleep a day or 2-3 short naps/day
Toddlers are toilet training age. Always bowel train before bladder train. Don't force the child because this could delay toileting more.
What are some signs of readiness?
- 1. Going w/o wetting in between
- 2. Ask to go poo-poo
- 3. Pulling pants up & down
What are some gross & fine motors that an 18 m.o can do?
- 1. Climbs stairs w/ assistance. Pulls toys while walking
- 2. Remove shoes & socks. Stack 4 cubes
What is the car safety for preschool?
2 y.o + or less than 40 lbs: forth facing car seat w/ harness
40-80 lbs: should ride in a booster seat that uses both the lap & shoulder belts
What are some motor skills a 5y.o can do?
- 1. stands on one foot 10 sec or longer
- 2. swings & climbs well
- 3. may skip
- 4. somersaults
- 5. may learn to skate & swim
How is the concept of self developed in a school age child?
Since school age children are interested in peer's view & acceptance of their body, concept of self is shaped by relationships with otheres.
At what age group do kids start to form clubs & groups?
Should a school age child sit in front of seat of a vehicle w/ an airbag?
No, any children under 12 y.o should not ride in the front seat of a vehicle w/ an airbag
Early development in school age (prepubescence in both boys & girls) can lead to what kind of problems?
What should the nurse do in dealing with girls experiencing early development & boys experiencing delayed development?
Risk taking behaviors
Nurse should try to decrease anxiety & promote comfort with these changes in body
What is menarche?
initial appearance of mestrauation approximately 2 YEARS AFTER FIRST PUBESCENT CHANGES
What are some ways to minimize loss of control in a hospitalized child?
- 1. Promoting ability to be mobile
- 2. Maintain chilld's routine
- 3. Give child an opportunity to participate in their own health care decisions. INDEPENDENCE