The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is an allergic reaction?
An exaggerated immune response to any substance.
What are two most common signs of anaphylaxis?
Wheezing and Urticaria.
What are 5 common allergens?
- 1. Insect bites and stings
- 2. Medications
- 3. Plants
- 4. Food
- 5. Chemicals
What insect can sting more then once?
Wasp, hornets and fire ants.
What do you remove a stinger with?
Stiff, sharp edge object, like a credit card.
Signs and symptoms of insect stings and bites
- Wheal, raised swollen, well defined area.
- Swelling, localized heat and redness
Whats the medical term for hives?
Six steps for using an auto-injector
- 1. Remove the safety cap
- 2. Place the tip of the auto-injector against the lateral part of the pt's thigh.
- 3. Push the injector firmly
- 4. Remove the injector
- 5. Record the time and dose.
- 6. Reassess and record vital signs
What causes wheezing in anaphylaxis?
Broncho spasms, chest tightening