Brenner's Model of Socialization
1. Novice - student - no experience - goverened by rules and regulations rather than experience
2. Advanced Beginner - Marginally acceptable performance - has enough experience of real situations to make judgments about them
3. Competent - 2-3 years experience - organizational and planning abilities - differentiated important factors from less important aspects of care
4. Proficient - 3-5 years - See situation as whole rather than in parts- holistic understanding of the client which improves decision making - focuses on long-term goals
5. Expert - performance is fluid, flexible, and highly proficient - Demonstrates highly skilled intuitive and analytic ability in new situations - inclined to take action becuase "it felt right"