The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What kind of ceremonies would be held in Greek temples?
Ceremonies honoring the gods and goddesses
Prediction about the future
Sacred shrine where a priest spoke for a god
First great epic poems about Ancient Greece
Illiad & Oddyesy by Homer
Greeks hid inside a hollow wooden horse. Trojans thought it was a present and let it in. Greek soldiers came out of the horse and captured Troy.
What is an epic
A great story based on history
Short stories that teach a lesson
Stories passed from person to person by word of mouth long before they were written down.
What ideas of Aeschylus about drama do we have today?
- Having 2 actors, to show conflict between people
- Having stage decorations, props and costumes
What was the most important type of building in ancient greece?
Temples dedicated to gods and goddesses
Greek thinkers who believed the human mind could understand everything
What did philosophers study
Many were teachers and studies history, science, politics and math
Asking questions to force students to use reason and think things through for themselves
How did Aristotle's idea of governement differ from Platos?
- Plato - democracy was not a good system of government
- Aristotle - best government is a mixture between oligarchy & democracy
What did Thucyides believe in ?
Accuracy. War & politics have to do with humans not gods.
Who was the first person to write about the past by using true event?
- Invented Socratic Method
- Left behind no writings
- Thought all knowledge was in each person
- did not like democracy
- divided society into 3 groups
- divided government into 3 groups
- Left behind writings
- established the Academy
- established the Lyceum
- taught the golden meam - don't do anything in excess
- divided government into 3 types
- Urged people to use their own sense to make observations