The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
How are Prostaglandins made from Linoleic Acid?
What is the name of the Bifunctional Enzyme in Prostaglandin synthesis?
what are its two parts?
- PGH synthase
- Cyclooxygenase (COX) and Peroxidase
What are the two main classes of eicosanoids?
What are there functions?
- Prostaglandins - Potent vasodialators (through 2nd messengers--> increase cAMP )and induce uterine contraction (with oxytocine).Protaglandins cause the uterus to contract at ALL times--> can be used for abortions.
- Thromboxanes- Acts on platelets and vascular smooth muscle.Vasoconstrictor. decrease cAMP and increase intracellular Ca++.
What is leukotriene synthesis from arachadonic acid?
What are leukotrienes?
- They are powerful constrictors of bronchial and intestinal smooth muscle. Implicated in asthmatic patients
- One type: SAS can lead to anaphylactic shock.
- They are relativly stable (unlike the rest of the eiconsanoids)
What anti-inflamitory drugs are taked to block the production of Eicosanoids?
- NSAIDs (nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs)- asperin, indomethacin, ibuprofen
- SAIDs - block COX--> prevents linoleic acid from making arachadonic acid
- Glucocorticoids- blocks phospholipase A2(where arachodonic acid comes from) --> all production stops.