Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
- North American Trade Agreement
- Free trade between USA, Canada, & Mexico.
A policy favoring races previously discrimated against. Free college, good jobs, ect.
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Makes sure that factories and businesses stay environmentally friendly.
Camp David Accords
An attempt to keep peace in the Middle East.
The plight of Little Richie Nixon to attain intel secretly from the Democratic headquarters.
- Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries
- Countries with lots of oil.
- A culture based around "peace and love".
- (ie. Hippies)
A famous feminist, wrote "The Feminine Mystique".
- National Organization for Women
- Organization for the equality of women.
- A women's rights organization.
- (There are two of them with the same name. -_-)
- Famous feminist and journalist
- One of the first openly pro-choice women.
United Farm Workers Organizing Committee
Latino rights activist.Organized farm worker's committees 'n stuff.
- American Indian Movement
- Native American rights movement group.
War Powers Act
Prevents the President from declaring an act of war without the consent of Congress.
Secret history of the US political-military involvement in Vietnam from 1945 to 1967. Brought to public attention in 1971.
Kent University State Shooting
- May 4th;
- Some students protesting the Vietnam war were shot, some wounded, four dead.
American attack on Vietnam in 1968 during a Vietnamese hoiday.
Against the Vietnam war.
For the Vietnam War; Wanted to send more troops.
Selective Service Act
A "lottery" to see who gets drafted to Vietnam in what order.
Jellied gasoline; "fire from the sky".
Killed off the jungles; herbicide.
Ho Chi Minh Trail
Trail to transport manpower and materials in Vietnam.
If one country falls to Communism, more will fall to it.
Tonkin Gulf Resoltion
Military action by LBJ without the permission of congress.
Brown vs. Board of Education
Ended segregated schools.
Plessy vs. Ferguson
Ended "serperate but equal".
A form of protest that involves sitting down at an establishment, until you get thrown out, arrested, or you get what you want.
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
- Wasn't as successful as MIA.
- Seperation of types of people.
- (ie. Gender, race, color, ect.)
Jim Crow Laws
Mandated racial segreation.
A set of programs put in by LBJ in an attempt to improve things by feedin' 'em money.
The investigation of the murder of JFK.
Kept the Capitalists in West Berlin.
Bay of Pigs
Unsucessful attempt of overthrowing Cuba's government by training Cuban exiles and sending them back.
Cuban Missile Crisis
The exposure of the fact that Russia gave Cuba missiles, and, well, also the attempt of making them not point it at us.
Put hate of Communism into Americans, enstilled fear.
Famous actors and directors arrested accused of having Communist ties.
- House of Unamerican Activities Committee
- More hate of Commuinism.
Ethel and Julius Rosenburg
American Communists, put to death because of spying.
Francis Gary Powers
Shot down in a U-2 spy plane over Cuba; didn't take the cyanide pill.
Demilitarized zone; The border between North Korea and South Korea.
- North Atlantic Treaty Organization
- US, Canada, and lots of Europe together wanting to keep Germany down and Russia out.
The fighting boundary dividing Europe in WWII; Physical Boundary.
American aid to help rebuild Europe after WWII.
US support to keep Communism out of Turkey and Greece.
- Formed after WWII.
- It's kinda like The Justice League.
- Why not?
- You know what this is.
- The Allies send food and supplies to West Berlin.
- "Look at us, woohoo, awww yeah."
Japanese Internment Camps
Japanese imprisoned in camps for years, just because of fear in WWII.
- Congress of Racial Equality
- Group that believes "all people were created equal".
Development of the first nuke.
Defined the Allies' goals early in WWII.
Giving someone what they want just to avoid conflict.
Pact between Russia and Nazi Germany to NOT attack eachother; Hitler broke it, and along with it went Stalin's heart. So Stalin destroyed him.
Mass killing of people for a political reason.
- Being careful not to use too many resources.
- (ie. Oil, food, water, ect.)
Battle of Stalingrad
- Conflict between Russia and Germany;
- The divorce of Hitler and Stalin.
- First day of US invasion of Europe;
- Landed in Normandy.
- Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor, Hawaii;
- Made US get into WWII.
Conference to discuss the reorganization of Europe after WWII.
Form of government based around nationalism and one dictator.
Challenged the law against teaching evolution in schools.
The practice of minding our own business during times of war for other countires.
Number of immigrants that can move into a country.
Huge dust storm during The Great Depression that lasted almost a decade.
- Economic acts put in by FDR.
- Social Security.
Crash of the stock market during 1929, caused The Great Depression.
What comes into a country.
What comes out of a country.
Towns made out of whatever people could find during The Great Depression.
Created to boost confidence in banks in the US.
Treaty of Versailles
- One of the acts that ended WWI.
- Germany was held responsible for WWI and had to pay for it.
Involving two or more states.
Inside of a state.
Limited the voting age to 18.
League of Nations
- Formed after WWI to try to prevent another major war;
- Failed miserably.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview