The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Goals of blood transfusions (3)
- Replace volume
- Preserve or increase O2 carrying capability of the blood
- Preserve or increase clotting
Transfusion complications: overload
coughing, inc pulse, dyspnea and edema. (like w HF)
- More common is bl is being pumped. pt will experience CP, SOB, shock.
- DC blood and keep line open, then on side a lower head.
- May experience sensitivity to one of the antibodies--alergic reactions such as itching, wheezing, fever, can go into chock.
- Stop bl and monitor
- Give antihistamine IV to reduce fever. if serious--steroids
- pt is transfused with incompatable blood.
- N/V, back pain, hypotension, inc pulse, oliguria and hematuria.
- DC bl and keep line open and monitor for shock
- pt dev antibodies to the donors platelets and white cells
- Fever, chills, N, HA, heart palpitations
- DC bl and kep lin open
- Give antipyretics-treat w steroids
conditoin that inplies low RBC count and dec Hgb and/or Hct. Insufficient Hgb to diliver O2 to tissues, leading to hypoxia.