The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Iron-deficiency Anaemia - What are the things to ask her on Hx.
- Systemic Sx: weakness, palpitations, bruising, dizziness
- GI Sx: PR, hemetemesis
- GU Sx: post-menopausal bleeding, haematuria
- Medications: antiplalets, NSAIDS
- Diet: get an idea
Iron-deficiency Anaemia - What to look for on exam?
- Fe-def: koilonychia, atrophic glossitis, angular stomatitis, conjunctival pallor, hyperdynamiccirculation (tachy + flow murmur), CCF
- Cancer: lymph nodes, masses, skeletal screen
- PR: for bleeding/masses
Iron-deficiency Anaemia - Investigations?
- Blood film + reticulocytes
- Folate, B12
- UEC (renal failure)
- Iron studies: ferritin (low), TIBC (high) - opposite pattern in thal & chronic diseases
- Urine MCS
- Celiac screen (if suspecting)
How is Iron-deficiency Anaemia treated?
- Treat cause!
- Oral Fe: 2-3mg/kg/day (give ferrous sulphate + Vit C) - GI SEs