The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is evidence-based nursing?
It is an approach to providing care that integrates nursing experience and intuition with valid and current clinical research to achieve best patient outcomes
Why is EBP important?
- Daily need for valid information
- Information overload and lack of time
- Traditional sources may be inadequate
- Promotes life-long, practice-based learning
What are the benefits?
- Based on science, not solely on tradition
- Improves patient safety
- Manages the information explosion through systematic reviews, collaborative efforts
- Rationalizes & standardizes care
- Potential to increase job satisfaction
- Advances the role of nurses (Magnet status)
- Evidence tools make research findings more accessible (typically takes 17 years from bench to bedside)
- Evidence summaries can be inserted into clinical information systems, mobile devices to provide information at the point of care
What are the barriers?
- New skills needed for seeking and evaluating evidence
- Lack of access to resources/information
- Organizational culture may not be supportive
- Time constraints!!!
- Patient, population, or problem
What is Telehealth?
- Telehealth uses telecommunications technologies to deliver health related services or to connect patients and healthcare providers to maximize a patient’s health status.
- Examples of the hardware: weight scale, blood pressure monitor, pulse oximter, thermometer, glucometer, spirometer, PTT/INR meter, digital camera, PDA, cellphone
Clinical Benefits of telehealth
- Accurately reflects “real” life
- Consistent, constant, compliant
- Shared data facilitates shared decision-making, esp. between nurses & physicians
- Reduces admissions to in-patient facilities
- Increases patient satisfaction & compliance
Economic Benefits of telehealth
- Reduces costs for chronic disease management (example: CHF and COPD patient costs reduced 40%-70%)
- Reduces reliance of ED for routine care
- Increases productivity of health care professionals
- Reduces travel for home care visits
- Reduces time gathering, organizing, interpreting data
- The legal record of a patient’s encounter with a health care provider/system
- The “hub” of the systems supporting patient care
- The basis for meaningful use
- Mandated by 2014
- Can be process, stored, transmitted and accessed by multiple providers at multiple locations