The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is the difference between sex and gender?
- sex is the biological anatomic differnces between males and females. Gender is the cultural differences between males and females found in tools, norms and values associated with being a male of female.
- sex is what you're born. gender is what you choose.
behaviors appropriate for and associated with each sex
- perception of the "self" as male or female
- how tied in you are to society's perception of the "correct" male or female
how a person feels about his or her body
the putting down of one sex based on the assumed superiority of the other sex
What are the three components of sexism? Give an example for each.
- 1) negative attitudes: women shouldnt play sports
- 2)sterotypical beliefs: women aren't good at sports
- 3) discrimination (acts): schools do not allow women to wrestle or play football
full time female workers are paid 60-70% of what male workers are paid
What are three reasons for the wage gap
- occupational segregation
- division of labor in the home
- discrimination in the workplace
a belief that one age category is inferior to others, therefore unequal treatment is justified
what is gerontology?
the study of old people
what are chronic illnesses?
long lasting and incurable
What are acute illnesses?
What is the differnece between social and medical gerontology?
- social- impact of aging on society
- medical- study and treatment of illnesses that affect the elderly
What are medicare and medicaid?
government medical insurance programs
What is the difference between medicare and medicaid?
- medicare- we pay into it through payroll deduction
- medicaid- welfare insurance used with no other resources available.
What are four causes of poverty in the elderly?
- lack of pension
- lack of planning
At ages 65-74, what percentage of men still live w/ spouse? Women?
At ages 75+, what percentage of men still have spouses? Women?
What are four myths about aging?
- At least 10% of the elderly live in nursing homes
- Elderly drivers have less accidents per person than drivers under 65
- The elderly do not get their proportionate share of the nation's income
- the majority of older people have incomes below the poverty level
What are three truths about aging?
- All five senses tend to decline in old age
- The majority of old people are seldom bored
- Older workers have fewer accidents than younger workers
T or F? Boys are more likely than girls to ridicule peers about their appearance.
T or F? Young girls and women can't die from an eating disorder.
T or F? 95% of guys believe they need to improve some aspect of their bodies
What are the five stages of grief?
denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance
What is an example of the bargaining stage of grief?
Just let me live for my daughter's wedding
What are two facts about the five stages of grieving?
- not all people pass through all five stages
- there is not a set order through which people go through steps
Who came up with the five stages of grieving?
What is a living will?
a document that expresses direction for no life sustaining procedures be taken
What are three facts about the NH one?
- Two witnesses are required
- Your physician must honor your convictions
- Living wills cannot be enforced for pregnant women
Identify and explain the three roles of being a housewife.
- functionalist- division of labor maintains social order
- conflict- women serve as free labor and sexual partners to men
- symbolic- women's self esteem is lowered becasue they see themselves as second to men