- No fault insurance scheme is designed to divert relatively small-stakes auto accident cases from the negligence system.
- --Rather than litigating against the other insurance company, you just go to your own insurance company.
- --Can recover whether a one- or two-car accident, regardless of negligence.
If a two car accident, all parties look to the policy applicable to their own car (or the car they were riding, etc).
- Covers personal injury costs.
- --Not damage to car (but you can go after other insurer for that).
- --Compensatory only. Never includes pain and suffering.
NY state policy and have an accident out of state; can still pursue your no-fault remedy.