Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Nurse's responsibility in CARING for a client for general diagnostic procedure:
- Supportive data
- Report to Practioner
- Client teaching
Measured substances are?
The procedure for 24-hour urine collection are
- -instruct client to void
- -discard first specimen
- -begin timing after first void is discarded
- -save urine for 24 hours on ice or refrigeration
Steps for x-ray procedures are:
- check for asthma, iodine allergy, pregnancy
- Explain the procedure
- Prepare client as ordered ( remove clothing and jewelry)
- No specific postprocedure care is required
- Administer an analgesic, especially for an arthritic client --page 631
The common sites for a bone marrow puncture are?
Iliac crest (side lying) & Sternum (supine)
This test identifies anemias, cancers such as multiple myeloma, leukemia or Hodgkin's disease is?
Bone Marrow Aspiration / Biopsy
Performed to withdraw fluid that has abnormally collected or to obtain a specimen is?
The study of cells?
Folic acid normal range is?
Magnesium (Mg++) normal levels are?
Chloride (CI-) normal range?
Sodium (Na+) normal range is?
Potassium (K+) normal levels?
Phosphate (PO4--) normal levels?
Blood urea nitrogen (BUN) normal levels?
Hemoglobin (Hgb) normla levels?
- Male: 14-18 g/dL
- Female: 12-16 g/dL
Red blood cells (RBCs) normal levels?
- Male: 4.6-6.2 million/mm 3
- Female: 4.2-5.5
White blood cells (WBCs) normal levels?
The different urine collections are?
- Random collection
- Timed Collection
- Collection from a Cosed Dainage System
- Sterile specimen
- Clean void specimen
Laboratory tests are ordered by to practioner to:
- Detect and quantify future disease risk
- Establish or exclude diagnoses
- Assess the disease process severity & formulate prognosis
- Guide intervention selection
- Monitor the progress of this disorder
- Monitor tx effectiveness
Nurse's responsibility in PREPARING a client for a general diagnostic procedure?
- ensure ID band and understanding
- identify allergies
- baseline vitals
- client teaching
To ACCURATELY assess the client's diagnostic response
- take vital signs before and after
Arterial blood is drawn from?
peripheral artery (i.e. radial or femoral) or from arterial line. page 607
Before a procedure the nurse must?
Obtain baseline vital signs & assess client's preparation for the test
After a procedure, assess the client for
procedural complication & prepare any nursing interventions
Lumbar puncture (LP) is also known as a?
A needle is inserted into the subarachnoid space to measure cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) pressure and/or obtain a specimen is
For a lumbar puncture keep the client flat in bed after specimen is obtained for
timed collection is also known as:
24 hour urine collection
steps for bone marrow aspiration
- explain procedure
- postion client
- instruct that pressure will be felt during aspiration
- remain in bed for 1 hour
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview