Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What were the four main causes of World War I?
A friendly agreement between countries that often promise mutual defense for each other.
Pride in one's country
The belief that you need to have and use a strong military.
Not choosing sides. This was the US policy during the beginning of WWI
When a country isolates themselves from the other problems in foreign affairs.
Pacific and Central America
The areas that the US focused on before WWI.
The country that Franz Ferdinand was assinateed and srated the war.
- Great Britain
- Fought the Centarl Powers
- Ottoman Empire
- Fought the Allied Powers
A war fought in trenches. This was the main type of fighting during WWI and lead to a stalemate. This was a new style oof fighting
No man's land
Thee area where no one controlled and fighting took place between the trenches.
Wire that was placed between two fences.
A new technology in war
A new technology that started during WWI. This is very deadly and not used as much anymore because of its cruel and harmful effects.
Where most of the fighting took place
Where no one is winning the war. This is what went on between 1914 and 1917.
Sinking of the Lusitania
A British and US passenger ship was sunk and was a major reason the US started to fight in the war.
Unrestricted Subamrine Warfare
The policy the Germans had. Just shoot torpedoes at anything that isn't friendly.
The telegram that Germany sent to Mexico and the US intercepted that stated that if Mexico would keep the US out of war and not an enemy, then Germany would help them fight America for their land back. Another big reason for the US involvement.
Loans the peoplee gave tot the government to help pay for the war.
National War Labor Board
Set all of the wages and working rules to help control the outrageous power of the people who would strike and boycott because of the hard times, in order for the economy to focus on making war materials for the government.
A person who doesn't want violence or war.
Someone who believes the government should own all of the economy.
Selective Service Act
All men had to register for a lottery drawing to join th military if you were between the ages of 21 and 30.
When someone is forced into the military by the lottery formed by the Selective Service Act.
Made speaking against the government during World War I illegal to prevent dirt from being thrown on the war effort.
A group of ships that travel together.
The Russian Revolution in the country took Russia out of the war for their domestic needs. They became communist, and the demand for the US to come help the Allies was more important.
The Great Migration
African Americans moving North to find jobs in factories when they were widely available in the 1910's.
War Industries Board
Decided who made what and for what. Decided what was going to be needed for the war.
Cease Fire, temporarily stopping the fighting to try and work out a treaty.
Woodrow Wilsons idea for peace after WWI
League of Nations
An international government that would keep peace throughout the world.
The US didn't join the League of Nations because of Senate rejection, even though it was Woodrow Wilson's idea.
Information designed to influence what you think.
Treaty of Versailles
The treaty that ended World War I
How did the War start?
- Nationalism-Feelings of intense loyalty, countries would unify and start, ethnic groups started countries on their own
- Imperialism-Countries overpowering others, and competed for colonies, because colonies equal money and money equals power.
- Militarism-Belief that a strong army is needed to protect your country and gain more colonies, and militaries grew
- Alliances-Friendships of protection. They can be secret.
- Assassination of Franz Ferdinand
Why did the Assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand cause so much trouble?
When Serbia killed Austria-Hungary's future leader in an imperialistic threat, extreme nationalism from both sides brought them to war because they both had militaries due to their beliefs of militarism. Because the alliances both sides had, Austria-Hungary declared war on Serbia, and Germany declared war on Serbia's allies Russia and France because Germany was Austria-Hungary's ally. Theen Frances ally Great Britain declared war on Germany and started the whole war.
What was the United States position at the beginning of war, and how and why do they change.
- The US was neutral at the beginning of the war following the policy of isolationaism, but the following things change their mind and they find it necessary to join:
- Lusitania is sunk
- Germany continued to sink ships after they promised not to (unrestricted submarine warfare)
- Zimmerman Telegram is intercepted.
What were some key points in Woodrow Wilsons 14 points.
- Nations should be able to choose their own governments.
- Stop imperializing
- Freedom of the Seas
- League of Nations should be created
- No secret treaties
- Don't punish the loser
Why was the war in a stalemate for so long?
- No mans land made it hard for people to easily fight in close combat
- Neither side could push forward.
- Technology increased the amount of deaths but made neither side pull ahead.
What were the results of the war?
- Germany was heavily punished
- Germany needed to accept the blame for the war, demilitarize (get rid of army), lose their colonies, and pay for all of the reparations.
- Germany payed off their debts by printing money and caused huge inflation and leads to an economic depression
- Multiple countries changed names, lost territory, and many new countries were created. Includes the formation of Poland.
- Caused WWII