The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are paranasal sinuses?
The paranasal sinuses are air-filled spaces inside the skull bones that open into the nasal cavity.
Where are the paranasal sinuses located?
Inside the maxillary, frontal, ethmoid, and sphenoid bones of the skull.
The pharynx is known as what?
- The throat
- Helps produce the sound of speech
The Larynx is known as what?
The voice pipe
Which part of the vocal cord is know as the true vocal cord?
- The lower folds
- These create sounds when air is forced between them, causing them to vibrate from side to side.
What is the location of the thyroid gland?
- Just inferior to the larynx, and anterior to the trachea.
- It stores hormones produced by the follicle.
What are the major endocrine glands?
- Thyroid gland
- Parathyroid gland
- Pituitary gland
- Adrenal gland
- Pineal gland
- Reproductive glands
Where is the parathyroid glands?
Posterior of the thyroid gland surface.
What is the location of the thymus gland?
- In the thorax, anterior to the aorta, posterior to the upper sternum.
- Larger in children than adults.
- Secrets hormones called thymosins, which affects production and differentiation of lymphocytes.
What is the major function of the lymphatic system?
- Production, maintenance, and distribution of lymphocytes.
- Another function is to transport excess fluid out of interstitial spaces in tissues and return it to the bloodstream.