Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
A civil wrong commmitted by a person against another person or property
The enforcement of duties and right amongst individuals independent of contractual agreements is
The enforcement of agreements among private individuals
The three essential elements in a legal contract (under Contract Law) are?
- Promise between two or more legally compotent individuals that state what each individual must do or not do.
- Mutual understanding of the terms and obligations the contract imposes on each individual.
- Compensation for lawful actions performed. (impose -force)
A written contract can not be changed legally by an oral agreements. What kind of contract is this?
A ______ contract gives in writing, conditions and terms.
____contract acknowledges a relationship between parties for services.
Contract terms may be agreed in?
Writing or orally
Deals with individual 's relationship to the STATE?
Deals with relationship amongst individuals?
Enacted by legislative bodies?
Public laws are?
- Constitutional - limits power of gov't
- Criminal - beat pt
- Aministrative - regulatory law, admin
- Statutory - legislative bodies
Think - CASE
Gives state boards of nursing to make rules and regulations governing nursing as set forth by the nursing practice act is
Civil law (automatic contract) are?
(side note: Federal and State levels)
- Contract law - agreement of private indiv
- Protective/reportin- GoodSamaritan/ADA
- Torts - civil wrong
Think: CPT codes
State board of Nursing disiplinary actions are?
- Revocation and suspension of license
Think: you getting "ReFriged"
The responsibility of regulating nursing practice and setting educational guidelines for the programs is
State Board of Nursing
License through the educational guidelines includes?
Graduating from a state approved program and passing the NCLEX.
Means - National Council Licensure Exam
When case if brought against a nurse, it is usually a civil action that falls under tort law. Torts can be?
Intentional torts are?
- Assault - Telling him your gonna hit
- Battery - You hit him (Nelly batter up)
- Defamation - using words to harm
- Think: ABcD
- Libel - written
- Slander - verbally
More INtentional torts are?
- Fraud - con
- False imprisonment - take $, makes them stay home all the time
- Invasion of Privacy
Several factors must hold true for a nurse to be found guilty of malpractice, they are?
- The nurse owed a special duty to the client; nurse-client relationship
- The nurse failed to meet the standards of care
- The injury occurred as a direct result of the nurse's action or inaction
- Damage such as physicla or emotional pain, suffering , monetary losses, or medical expenses must be proved.
i.e. rails were left down on a confused clent's bed or a puddle was not cleaned up is an example of?
Negligence - careless
Failure to properly assess the client is considered?
A nurse who leaves an inadequately staffed unit could be charged with?
-Client's property is lost
A medication error occurs
-Client burned from improper use of equip
-Change in client's condition is not observed or reported
-Inaccurate count of sponges in the operating room is taken
These are examples of?
-Inaccurate nursing diagnosis is made and wrong tx was implemented
-Physcian's orders are not followed
-Physician clearly erroneous order is not questioned. Are examples of?
The difference between Ethnics and Bioethnics is?
- Knowledge rather then opinions - ethnics raises questions but does not provide easy answers (one's responsibilties).
- Bioethnics - Ethnical practice more important in health care - every area of area.
"I refuse these Meds" they are showing?
Health care researchers might risk the well being of the person participating in an experimental procedure?
Think - performing the act
Greatest positive benefit for the number of people involved is?
Client's Rights are?
- R - review medical record
- I - Inclusion in makeing decision to care
- G - Given consent or decline participating
- H - Have an advanced directive
- T - Tx w/ respect to dignity
- S - Sesitivity to cultural differences
A risk management tool used to describe and report any unusual event that occurs to a client, visitor or staff member is?
DO NOT put what you think or feel on an?
Incident reports document what?
- Forgotten tx
- Medication errors
Incident report can also be called?
Variance or Occurence report
Incident reports should be charted in the client's?
Incident report should include?
- Time physician & family notified
Punture sites for a LP are?
L3-4, L4-5 or L5-S1
How many cc's obtain from a lumbar puncture?
VISITORS REPORT TO THE NURSE
1. Gloves entering room
2. Gloves when touching
3. Remove gloves before leaving
4. Hand Hygiene
5. Gown entering room
6. Remove gown exit and wash hands
7. Limit pt transport
8. Ensure that infected areas are covered
9. Remove and dispose/hand hygeine of PPE before transport
10. Use disposable equipment. Are examples of
VISITORS REPORT TO THE NURSE
2. Hand hygiene
3. Private room - 3ft away from others
4. Limit transport - instruct client to wear mask when transporting. Transporters do not need.
VISITORS REPORT TO NURSE
1. Airborne infection isolation room
2. Keep door closed
3. Limit transport - wear surgical mask
4. Hand hygeine
5. PPE N95
Think: MVP (T)
Think: R-aging Mad Pimp
Skin, wound, GI, Respiratory, Viral hemorrhagic
Skin = herpes, impetigo, abscesses, cellulitis, pressure ulcers, pediculosis, scabies, varicella (zoster)
Trying not to get an person infected, what room are they placed in?
i.e. Burned patient
Banana, orange, Apricot, Cantaloupe , Dried fruit, Avocado, Raw Carrots, Baked potato, Spinach, milk, yogurt, Meat and Fish are examples of?
Milk, yogurt, cheese, tofu, soybeans, almonds, broccoli and spinach are examples of?
Processed or prepareed canned foods are examples of?
Flucuations of hydrogen ions indicates what?
Change in pH level, acidosis and alkadosis
Metabolic condition where there is not enough sodium in body fluids of cells is?
Subnormal sodium volumes are?
Causes of sodium deficit or water EXCESS is?
____may be caused by prolonged vomiting, diarrhea, or gastric or intestitial suctioning.
Water moves out the vascular space, into the interstitial space, then to intracellular space causing edema?
An elevated serum level?
LOSS of water causes a rise in extracellular ostomotic pressure?
Hyperatremia normal range?
Hypoatremia normal range?
Monitor serum sodium amts, Assess phy. manisfestations (existence), encourage food and fluids high in sodium, monitor I&O, teach clients sodium rich foods, admin. IV if ordered are examples of
Monitor serum sodium lab results, Limit foods and fluids high in sodium, Monitor I&Os
HYPERkalemia normal ranges?
HYPOkalemia normal ranges?
Signs and sx: axienty, irritability, ab cramps, D, EKG changes, cardiac arrest
Signs& Sx: Muscle weakness, paralytic ileus, polyuria, EKG changes, Elevated glucose blood level
Excess LOSS of gastric fluids
Use of direutics
Be prepared to administer Calcium gluconate
May need to prepare dialysis or Kayexlate
Monitor serum potassium & IOs
Monitor heart rate, rhythm, EKG readings
Teach client bout potassium foods
Admin oral potassium replacement-order
or IV - order, heart rhythm, EKG's, eat potassium rich foods and fluids
Seasonal illnesses, such as pneumonia or influenza is an example of?
Diarrhea, diabetes mellitus, and direuritics are responsible for?
Coma can be caused by what?
Respiratory and Metabolic acidosis.
Electrolyte shift is caused by?
If PaCO2 (high and lows) is?
<7.35 and >7.45 is?
To verify a prescription the nurse will?
Contact the physician to confirm and clarify order.
Implications involving restraints is?
- Carefully assess situation
- Include client or significant other
- Physician's must order
breaking down food into simple nutrients so that body can convert to energy
O2 to the lungs and removal of CO2
Largest glandular organ, RUQ ab, filters 1500 blood, produce Heparin, emulsifies fat, convert glucose to glycogen, metabolizes hormones
Pa stands for?
Partial pressure of Carbon Dioxide