Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
440,000 square miles, the fourth largest country. The Pacific, Atlantic, and Caribbean border it. The bordering countries are Ecuador, Peru, Brazil, Venezuela and Panama. The regions: Pacific coast (fertile rainforest), Atlantic coast (more dry and industrialized), Amazon basin (the agricultural area), and the Interior region (most productive in coffee and cocain).
2. Line of Demarcation
Pope Alexander VI divided the then-known world between Spain and Portugal, drawing a north-south line down the Atlantic ocean. Portugal could claim land east of the line of demarcation, Spain could claim land west of it.
3. Peninsulas- born in Spain, live in Columbia. Creoles- born in Columbia region. Mestizos- eropean and native mix. Zambos- black Columbian and native Columbian.
4. Pop. mix in South America, main language
Population mix- very blended regions because of people wanting to leave after the War. Main languages- Spanish, Portuguese, English. Ethnicity- Caucasion, white, black.
5. polotics throughout south america
The South American political cycle- early Spanish discovery. 1800-1830 they receive independence from Spain. A series of governments leads to a cautious democracy.
6. chalange in colombia
The drug cartel, I DO COCAIN!!! $4 billion per year business, well organized. Another big problem would be the Guerilla Orginizations (RAFC, ANL)..
7. Discuss the religious climate and challenges in the Caribbean Region of South America.
- Columbia: 95% of the population claim Catholicism, but only about 85% are true Catholics. 3% of the people are true Evangelical Christians. Christianity has grown from about 1500 to 2 million believers; so it as growing rapidly. Lots of persecution from drug dealers because Christianity obviously has opposite morals and ethics that go along with it. It is a challenge to share the gospel because of the many different dialects and languages in the county; but the Jesus film is being translated as best as possible.
- Venezuela: About 92% of the population claim Catholicism; but only 20% actually go to mass. 5% of the population are protestant Christians. These are the only two recognizable religions in the country. There is an increasing secular culture that is growing. The New Age Movement is growing rapidly, and this is supported by the commerciality and media of the country.
8. Describe the significant physical features of the Guiana Highlands countries of South America.
The Guiana Highlands is a rugged plateau that separates the Caribbean and the Amazon River. It is a tropical climate and coffee and cattle are the main crop/export of the interior parts. There are mountainous regions in the west part in Guyana. There are also waterfalls in mixed on with the plateaus and mountains. They are next to the Caribbean Sea and the Atlantic Ocean.
9. What are some of the important challenges for the Gospel ministry in Guyana?
- -Social unrest in the country
- -“Lukewarm” Christians
- -No stable two parent families
- -Spiritualism, Witchcraft, and Rastafarianism
- 10. Characterize the physical distinctive of the Andean Region.
- The mountains characterize the Andean Region. There are over fifty peaks that all reach higher than 20,000 feet. The mountains divide the country in half, East and West. The Tierre Templada is a tropical region in the mountains where agriculture is still possible. Many indigenous people live in the mountains because it is secluded from the urban cities and new culture rising. Four out of five people in the mountainous region are native South Americans.
11. Give and describe the four regions of Ecuador contributing to its dramatic topography.
- -The Coastal Region-fertile and good for agriculture
- -The Andean Region- mountains
- -The Amazonian Region-Rivers and jungles/rain forests
- -The Galapagos Islands-…Islands with huge tortoises
12. Give the borders of Peru, Bolivia, and Brazil.
- Peru: Ecuador-North, Columbia- North, Brazil-East, Bolivia-Southeast, Chile-South, and Pacific Ocean to the West.
- Bolivia: Brazil-East, Paraguay-Southeast, Argentina-South, Chile-Southwest, and Peru- Northwest.
- Brazil: All South American countries besides Ecuador.
13. geographic characteristics of Bolivia: Landlocked, borders are Paraguay, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Peru. Because it is landlocked, the development is slow. It has high planes (Altiplano). Effecyed the industrialization and development because it has no ocean trade access.
14. The youth of south America are in deep, heavy poverty.in most south American countries there are many kids living on the streets together with no homes or parents or food. Most births are outside of marrige, two parent homes with children are actually rare. \
15. the three gepgraphic regions of Chile are: the Atacama desert in the north, the central valley (Aconcogua river) in the central region, and the Archapelago ion the south.
16. the unique characteristics of the Argentinean people:
largest number of Spanish speakers in south America. 85% are of European descent. Half of those are from Italian colonistsand one third from Spanish colonists. Mestizos make up the last 15% of the people. People migrated there after the great depression.
17. the Spanish colonies in the south colonized mostr of South America, wherever they took land, that land was Spanish speaking. When Portugal took over places (not as many as spain), it normally stays under potuguese control longer than those which are founded by spanish colonies
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview