Psych. Test-Kohlberg and Likona
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Kohlberg's Stages of Moral Development:
- 1. Avoiding Punishment
- 2. Behavior that benefits them
- 3. Avoid the disapproval of others
- 4. Respect for Authority
- 5. Rights for others/welfare of community
- 6. Own Priciples
What age does a person reach stages 3 and 4?
Not everyone reaches these stages
5 and 6
Kohlberg's 6 stages are found in these 8 societies
Not all psychologists agree that the 6 stages automatically. What do the stages depend on?
- How the child was raised in the home
- Whether the child was rewarded or punished for certain behavior
what we say we will do
what we actually do
Hypothetical Situation-You as a parent find something illegal in your son/daughters room. You should:
- 1. Take time to chill. Pick a time to talk about it
- 2. Be honest. Tell them what you found.
- 3. Let them know you're human. Say this is hard to talk about.
- 4. Look for reasons, then solutions. Tone of voice is crucial.
putting yourself in other persons shoes
Factors leading to a teen's move toward independence:
- 1. Privacy- Don't talk with, talk at.
- 2. Conflict- Push buttons
- 3. Friends- Rely on them
- 4. Visibly Different:
- Music, Hair, Clothes, Language
Example of empathy:
Parent says "Why do you think I'm so worried when you are late?"
Teens who can empathize say:
"I'm sorry I should have called"
Parents should work on developing value on teen's independence. What's an example of this?
- If the teen wants to go to Steamboat, CO for the weekend:
- Say Yes when you can
- Say No when you have to. A parent must draw the line somewhere or they cop out as a parent.
How many stages does Dr. Likona have in his moral development theory?
Stage 0 in Dr. Likona's theory:
- Age: B-4yrs. Pre School
- Stage: 0
- Main Idea: Kids in essence are morally innocent
- 4.Don't attempt to reason right from wrong
- 5. Think it's right to get their way.
Stage 1 in Likona's theory:
- Age: 4-5yrs.
- Stage: 1
- Main Idea: Operate on a fear of punishment.
- 1. Know rules and consequences of breaking them
- 2. Fear Punishment
- 3. Parents shouldn't use verbal or physical abuse
- 4. Parents following discipline should say "I still love you, I just don't like what you did"
Stage 2 in Likona's Theory
- Age: 6-7yrs.
- Stage: 2
- Main Idea: Moral Standards are "not yet" internalized
- 1. Standards are not a part of thoughts and actions
- 2. Self centered (What's in it for me?)
- 3. Begin to think about parents
Stage 3 of Likona's theory
- Age: 8-9yrs.
- Stage: 3
- Main Idea: Moral standards are internalized
- 1. Understand wrongdoing
- 2. Feel guilt
- 3. People will be disappointed
- 4. Develop a true conscience
- 5. Fear of acceptance (Will I or won't I?)
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview