The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- 1. Produce bone matrix
- 2. Trapped osteoblasts
- 3. Remodel bone
1. Thyroid hormone
2. Parathyroid hormone
- 1. Stimulates bone remodeling
- 2. Promotes bone breakdown by stimulating osteoclasts, increasing blood calcium
- 3. Inhibits osteoclasts, decreasing blood calcium
What is the role of thyroid follicle cells?
- Produce thyroglobulin
- Break it down to produce T4 and T3
Describe feedback mechanism for thyroid hormone
Increased thyroid hormone inhibits release of hypothalamic TSH-RH
What is the role of parafollicular cells?
Produce calcitonin - inhibit osteoclasts
What is a goiter?
Chronic thyroid enlargement
What are cells of the parathyroid gland and their roles?
- Cheif cells - secrete PTH
- Oxyphil cells - unknown
How does PTH maintain calcium levels?
- Stimulates osteoclasts
- Increases renal calcium reabsorption
- Increases calcium absorption in GI via Vitamin D