Cognitive, Emotional and Functional Effects of Moderate-Severe TBI
- a lot of recovery in first 6 months, most within first year
- 1. post concussive symptoms lower
- 2. cognitive deficits: subtle to severe problems with processing speed, attention, memory, and executive functions, maybe spatial/language function depending on area
- 3. Emotional problems: common; depression, apathy, poor impulse control, greater risk of substance abuse or other addictive behaviors
- 4. functional deficits: related to severity of cognitive and emotional deficits. Any occupational or academic activities should be reengaged slowly to avoid possibility of failure and discouragement.