Top 200 Drugs 2010 #1-30
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
- 10, 20, 40, 80mg tabs
- HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor
- Take with or w/o food, do not take with red yeast rice, if experiencing muscle pain etc contact PCP immediately
- 10, 20, 40mg cap or powder for susp
- Take on empty stomach 1hr ac, make open capsule and mix in applesauce. May take several days before stomach pn feels better
- 75, 300mg tab
- Platelet aggregation inhibitor
- Take with or without food. May interact w/ASA and other blood thinners. Report to PCP immediately if there are any unusual bleeding or bruising or black tarry stools.
- 100, 250, 500mg powder for inhalation
- Combo LABA and corticosteroid DPI (maintenance)
- Do not wash diskus with water or use spacer. Do not take with MAOI's like nardil (phenylzine) and parnate (tranylcypromine). May cause tremors, HA, nervousness. LABA's may increase risk of asthma-related deaths.
- 2, 5, 10, 15, 20, 30mg tab
- 10, 15mg oral disintegrating tab
- Disintegrating tab does not need to be taken w/water. Take with or w/o fd. May take several weeks before full effects are seen. Do not suddenly stop taking the med. May cause changes in blood sugar. Contact PCP immediately if experiencing suicidal thoughts or sudden changes in feelings (anxious, aggressive, etc). May cause weight gain and drowsiness.
- 25, 50, 100, 200, 300, 400mg tab
- 50, 150, 200, 300, 400mg XR tab
- Take with or w/o fd. May take several weeks before full effects seen. May have to have eyes checked prior to taking med and q6 months thereafter.Contact PCP immediately if experiencing suicidal thoughts or sudden
- changes in feelings (anxious, aggressive, etc). May cause weight gain and drowsiness.
- For XR tabs, take on empty stomach or w/a light meal (do not take w/heavy meal).
- 4mg granules (ages 1-4yo)
- 4mg (ages 2-5yo), 5mg (ages 6-14yo) chewable tab
- 10mg tab
- Leukotriene modifier - allergies and asthma
- For granules - must be used w/in 15mins of opening. may place directly in mouth or mix with 1 tsp of baby formula or applesauce (do not mix in any liqs except breast milk or formula). Take w/or w/o fd.
- Chewable - chew completely before swallowing, w/or w/o fd. For chewable and granules, take qpm for asthma or qd for allergies.
- May cause drowsiness. Contact PCP immediately if experience tingling in extremities, jaundice symptoms, or suicidal thoughts (caution in all LM's).
- 5, 10, 20, 40mg tab
- HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor
- Take w/or w/o fd. Contact PCP immediately if have any muscle pn or jaundice sx's. Avoid taking antacids w/Ca, Al, or Mg within 2hrs of taking this med. Do not take w/red yeast rice.
- 15, 30, 45mg tab
- May cause slow weight gain and increase risk of heart problems. Contact PCP if having swelling in ankles, feet or hands.
- 2000, 2000, 4000, 10000, 20000, 40000 units/ml sol inj
- Take iron and folic acid or Vitamin B supplements. May cause N//V/D and HA.
- 100mg powder for inj
- Crohn's dz and ulcerative colitis, also plaque psoriasis
- If using this med for plaque psoriasis, try to stay out of the sun, or else wear protective clothing and sunscreen
- May make pt more susceptible to infections. If having surgery or dental work, let the health professional know you are taking this med. May worsen HF in some pts - contact health provider ASAP if having swelling of ankles or SOB.
- 25mg powder inj, 25mg/0.5ml sol inj, 50mg/ml sol inj
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Store medicine in the fridge - do not freeze or shake. May be tested for TB prior to starting med - if positive, finish taking the TB meds before starting Enbrel. May be more susceptible to infections.
- 20, 30, 60mg DR CAP
- Antidepressant or chronic pn
- Take med w/or w/o fd. May take ~4 wks to see full efx of med. May cause drowsiness. May make mouth dry - try chewing candy. May raise BP. Watch out for suicidal thoughts and sudden mood changes - contact health provider immediately.
- 100mg/4ml sol inj, 400mg/16ml sol inj
- Chemotherapy drug
- No interxns expected. Let health provider know if having unusual sx's like difficulty breathing. Med should be started 28days after major surgery. Rarely causes GI perforation.
- 10, 15, 20, 30, 40, 60, 80, 160mg ER tab
- Constant pn lasting more than a few days
- Take w/or w/o fd, swallow one tab at a time, do not wet tab before taking. May get drowsy and dry mouth and constipation. If no bowel movement in 3days, contact PCP. May see empty tabs in stool, but med is in body. Do not suddenly stop taking med, may get severe rxn. PCP may gradually lower dose.
- 6mg/0.6ml sol inj
- Makes more WBC's after cancer tx
- Store in fridge, do not freeze. Throw away in left at RT for over 48hrs. If having pain at inj site, fever, shoulder, or stomach pn, contact health provider ASAP.
- 2.5, 5, 7.5, 10, 15, 20mg tab, 5, 10, 15, 20mg oral disintegrating tab
- May take several weeks for full efx of med. May get drowsy/dizzy - Avoid alcoholic drinks - may inc drowsiness. Mouth may get dry.
- 20mg/0.4ml pediatric sol inj, 40mg/0.8ml sol inj
- Crohn's dz and plaque psoriasis
- May be tested for TB prior to starting med. If positive n given TB meds, finish them all before starting Humira. May be more prone to certain cancers if taking this med. Store med in fridge, do not freeze.
- 5, 10, 20mg tab, 5mg/5ml sol inj
- Take w/or w/o fd. May take 1-2 wks before full efx of med seen. May get drowsy -avoid alcoholic drinks. Mouth may get dry. Watch out for suicidal thoughts and abrupt mood changes -contact health provider ASAP.
- 100mg/10ml sol inj
- 500mg/50ml sol inj
- Monoclonal Antibody for non-hodgkin's lymphoma or rheumatoid arthritis
- May inc risk of brusing and bleeding. Be careful brushing and flossing - let dentist know you are taking this med. Avoid taking APAP, ASA, and NSAIDs - may hide a fever. May be more susceptible to infx's.
- 5, 10, 23mg tab; 5, 10mg oral disintegrating tab
- Mild to moderate dementia
- Take w/or w/o fd, usually taken qHS. Do not cut, chew, crush 23mg tab. May cause drowsiness. GI probs are common s/e, esp diarrhea.
- 30, 40, 60, 80, 100, 120, 150, 300mg/3ml sol inj
- Prevents and treats blood clots
- Do not take w/ASA, heparin, or warfarin. May cause brusing or bleeding - contact health provider to change dose. Report any injuries. If going to have surgery, alert the health provider. If having SOB or edema, contact health provider ASAP.
- Efavirenz, Emtricitabine, Tenofovir
- 600/200/300mg tab
- HIV tx
- Take on empty stomach, 30mins before or 2hrs after food. Take qHS. Skipping doses may make HIV resistant to this med and other meds. May get drowsy - avoid alcoholic drinks. BCP may not work properly while taking this med.
- 20mg powder inj, or 20mg/ml sol inj
- Decreases # of MS relapses in ppl w/relapse-remitting forms of the dz
- Interxns aren't expected. Store in fridge, do not freeze. May be good for up to 7days in RT. Contact health provider immediately if having any swelling of ankles or rapid heartbeat.
- 18mcg powder for inhalation
- LA-Anticholinergic for COPD, bronchodilator
- Do not swallow capsule, do not use inhaler when it's wet. Do not get med in your eye (cause pn, irritation, blurred vision). If having change in vision, fast heartbeat, trouble passing urine - contact health provider ASAP.
- Insulin glargine
- 100units/ml sol inj, prefilled = Lantus Solostar
- Long acting basal insulin
- Should appear clear and colorless, otherwise throw away. Do not mix w/other insulins. Store unopened vials in fridge. After opening, vial is good for 28days, and may be stored at RT at 25 degrees or below. Injecting at RT makes it less painful. Opened pen should NOT be stored in fridge.
- 40, 80, 160, 320mg tab
- Take w/or w/o fd. May cause drowsiness. Contact health provider immediately if having irregular heartbeat, decreased urine, difficulty breathing, or confusion.
- 25, 50, 100mg tab
- Take w/or w/o fd
- Do not take w/gatifloxacin. If getting sick or exercising more than usual, may need to change dosing of drug. Contact health provider ASAP if having N/V, breathing probs, etc.
- 50, 100, 200, 400mg cap
- COX-2 inhibitor, arthritis or pnful monthly periods
- Take w/food if upsets stomach, or if taking 400mg at a time. Do not lie down for 10mins after taking. Long-term use may inc risk of heart attacks/strokes. Do not use other NSAIDs while taking this med.
- Emtricitabine, tenofovir
- 200/300mg tab
- HIV tx
- Take w/or w/o fd, do not suddenly stop takin this med, will cause resistance to this med and other meds. Common s/e include discoloring of feet and hands, weight gain in waist and back but thinning of arms and legs.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview