Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
what to assess for with vision impaired
- redness, burning , pain in eyes
- Increased lacrimation and exudate
- Headache, squinting
- Nausea and vomitting
- atlered growth and development
- Visual disturbances
- altered vision fucntion test
tonometry procedure includes?
- cornea is anethetized
- tonometer registers degree of indentation on cornea when pressure is applied
- pressure increased in gluacoma
Client preparation for tonometry?
- remove contacts
- advise not to squing, cough, or hold breath during procedure
Visual field measurement is a measurment of?
The range of vision (perimetry)
Visual field procedure?
- Client is seated a measured distance form chart of concentric circles
- Client asked to fix eyes on a point on a chart at center of circle
- client instrected to indicate when he or she first sees pointer, this point is recorded as a point in field of vision
- This procedure is repeated around 360 degrees of circle
- Normal visual fields for each eye are approximately a 50 degree anger superiorly 90 degree laterally 70 inferiolry , and 60 degree medially
what is myopia ?
Is nearsightedness ( light rays refact at a point in front of the retina)
What is hyperopia?
farsightedness ( light reays refract behind the retina)
Occures with aging
uneven curbature of cornea causing blurring
Nursing consideration from chemical burn?
eye irrigation 15-20 min with water
Radiation nurisng consideration?
Preventative eye shields
Thermal nursing considerations
Use of goggles to protect cornea, patching analgesics
Nonpenetrating injury abrasions nursing considerations?
eye patch 24 hour
Nonpenatrationg contusion nursing considerations?
Cold compresses, analgesics
Penetrating sharp point nursing considerations
cover with patch, refer to surgeon
How to prevent eye injury?
- 1. safe toys
- 2. eye protectors when working with chemicals , tools
- 3. eye protectors during sports
- 4. protect eyes from ultraviolet light
How to enhance communication with blind patient
- Adress client by name
- always introduce self
- sate reason for being there
- inform client when leaving the room
How to provide blind patient a sense of safety?
- explain procedures in detail
- keep furniture arrangment consistant
- provide hand rail
- doors should never be half open
- have client follow attendant when walking touch elbow with attendant 1/2 step ahead
- Instruct client to use light weigh walking stick when walking alone
Foster blind persoin independence
- Provide assitance only when needed
- Identify food and location on plate or tray
- encourage recreational and lesure time activities
Care for artificial eye?
- Remove daily
- clean with mild detergent and water
- dry and store in water or saline
- make sure to remove before surgeries
How to insert artificial eye?
- Raise uper lid slip eye beneath
- release lid
- support lower lid and draw it over the lower edge of eye
Removal of artificial eye?
- Draw lower lid downward
- slip eye forward over lower lid and remove
- instill eye drops
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview