Wine Midterm: Italy
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Italy is the _______ ___________ wine producer, exporter and consumer.
What is the Denominazione di Origine Controllata (DOC)?
guarantees the place of origin of any wine bearing the name of a region; establish basic standards of quality
What is the top category of classified wines? (high quality wines)
- Denominazione di Origine Controllata e Garantita (DOCG)
- only 24 kinds of wine with this status (not winery)
What do DOC and DOCG laws specify?
- which varietals could be grown
- what yields could be
- min. alcohol levels
- acidity levels
What are the four levels of quality wine?
- Vino da Tavola
- Indicazione Geografica Tipica (IGT)
What does IGT status mean?
wines made in a DOC region but not according to the laws of that region (past good wines have designation higher than vino da tavola)
What is Vino da Tavola?
"table wine"; no geographic place of origin can be named
What are the four ways to name an Italian wine?
- name of place where grapes are grown
- name of the grape used to make the wine
- combination of the name of the grap and the place (may indicate better quality) --> i.e. di, d'
- proproetory or fantasy name
region traditionally produced more and better distinctive grapes; heartland of region
extra aging time/additional aging
dry version of the wine
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview