Card Set Information
words for the quiz
Clangor - N
- a loud sound; clang.
Deleterious - Adj
- injurious to health
- harmful; injurious
Absolve - V
- to free from guilt or blame or their consequences
- to set free or release, as from some duty, obligation, or responsibility.
- to raise to a higher degree; intensify; magnify.
- to raise the value or price of.
Caricature - N/V
- a picture, description,etc. ludicrously exaggerating the peculiarities or defects of persons or things.
Extenuate - V
- to represent as less serious.
- to serve to make seem less serious.
Contiguous - Adj
- touching; in contact.
Exude - V
- to come out gradually in drops, as sweat, through small openings; ooze out.
Implicit - Adj
- implied, rather than expressly stated.
Cupidity - N
- eager or excessive desire, esp. to possess something; greed.
Enthrall - V
- to captivate or charm.
- to put or hold in slavery.
Scintillating - Adj
- animated; vivacious; effervescent.
Redundant - Adj
- characterized by verbosity or unnecessary repetition in expressing ideas.
Winsome - Adj
- sweetly or innocently charming; winning; engaging.
Preeminent - Adj
- eminent above or before others; superior; surpassing.
Paragon - N/V
- a model or pattern of excellence or of a particular excellence.
- to compare; parallel.
Politic - Adj
- shrewd or prudent in practical matters; tactful; diplomatic.
Sanctimonies - N
- pretended, affected, or hypocritical religious devotion, righteousness, etc.
Incisive - Adj
- penetrating; cutting; biting; trenchant.
- remarkably clear and direct; sharp;keen; acute.
Prosaic - Adj
- commonplace or dull; matter-of-fact or unimaginative.
Paraphrase - N/V
- a restatement of a text or passage giving the meaning in another form, as for clearness; rewording.
- to render the meaning of in a paraphrase.
Ostentatious - Adj
-characterized by or given to pretentious or conspicious show in an attempt to impress others.