Card Set Information
Thought to act on the subcortical levels of the brain, notably the limbic system
(responsible for emotions, learning, and long term memory storage), and decrease electrical activity across the motor cortex.
Decreases muscle activity, emotional responses, and level of consciousness.
1. Eradication of grand-mal seizures
2. Sedation prior to cardioversion/pacing
3. Sedation in acute episodes of anxiety
4. Painful tetanic muscle contractions (spasms),
particular in the management of orthopedic injuries
5. Obstetrical patients, and infants <1 mo. old Side
2. Respiratory depression/respiratory arrest
3. Drowsiness, and decreased LOC
5. Phlebitis at injection site
: 5-10 mg IV/IM for seizures, cardioversion and transcutaneous pacing.
2-5 mg IM for anxiety.
: .2-.5mg/kg IV/IM/Rectal.
1-5 min. IV with duration 15-60 min. 15-30 min IM with more erratic absorption, and longer duration.