The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
what 2 main thing ventilator does to help pt?
oxygenate and ventilate
what setting can RT change?
Volume, rate, pressure, O2 setting.
what 2 additional setting can RT use?
Pressure support and PEEP
- the ventilator supports every breath, whether it's initiated by the patient or the ventilator. AC is often used to allow the patient to rest, because the ventilator
- does all the work. This high level of respiratory support is frequently
- required in patients who have been resuscitated, have acute respiratory
- distress syndrome (ARDS), or are paralyzed or sedated.
what complication can AC mode cause?
- not all spontaneous breaths are assisted, leaving the patient to draw some breaths on her own.SIMV helps preserve the strength of the respiratory musculature,
- decreases the risk of hyperventilation and barotrauma, and facilitates
- increase oxygenation in either AC or SIMV mode. The effect of PEEP on
- the lungs is similar to blowing up a balloon and not letting it
- completely deflate before blowing it up again. PEEP should not exceed 20 cm H2O; higher settings increase the risk of severe lung damage, subcutaneous emphysema, and pneumothorax.4
- Used alone or added to SIMV, this provides a small amount of pressure
- during inspiration to help the patient draw in a spontaneous breath.
- Pressure support makes it easier for the patient to overcome the
- resistance of the ET tube and is often used during weaning because it
- reduces the work of breathing. It's not necessary during AC ventilation
- because in that setting, the ventilator supports all of the breaths.