The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Model of African Capitalism?
- Economic boom of 1960s: cocoa, timber, coffee, and palm oil.
- Africa’s model of capitalism
- The Geopolitics of Oil and Ethnic Strife.
- Once assumed to be the cradle of democracy is now in political turmoil, ethnoregionalism, and economic mismanagement
- Factors of decline: geopolitics of oil, deep-seated ethnic divisions, the excesses of military rule, greed, corruption, and mismangement.
- Possesses the largest deposits of natural gas in Africa
The Democratic Republic of Congo
- Development Potential Gone Awry
- Endowed with abundant natural resources but has not lived up to its development potential.
- Most important factor accounting for poor economic performance was dictatorship.
- Model of African Socialism
- Ujamaa policy was instituted to promote self-help, self-esteem, and local initiative along family, communal, and cooperative lines.
- Achieved some measure of social equality in health care and education but nationalized industries slowed production down.
- Model of African Socialism?
- Government funtions as a federal parliamentary republic with devolved powers to regional, ethnic-based authorities.
- A reform program was instituted to bring all rural and urban land under government control.
- The Challenge of Land Reform and Industrial Transformation
- Land Reform and Resettlement Program: to acquire land from large-scale commercial farmers for distribution to landless people.
- Fast Track Program
- Boasts a fairly large and diversified industrial sector that accounts for 30% of its economic output.
- Transition of a Settler Colony
- One of the most productive agricultural zones
- Went to war, won, started getting land and political authority.
- World's 2nd largest exporter of tea
Rwanda and Burundi
- Recovering from Ethnic Genocide
- Hutu and Tutsi --> Belgians hated them. Made them turn on each other.
- Belgium was just bad news bears.
- Gacaca court system: to promote unity, restore social harmony and exepdite trials.
- Recovering from Conflict
- Long history of colonial exploitation and civil strife, until recently.
- 3 movements: MPLA, FNLA, and UNITA
- Civil war