Biology Ch 9
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What must happen before a cell can divide?
Name 3 events that take place in Interphase G-1.
- 1. Cell gathers nutrients
- 2. Performs its normal function
- 3. Commits to divide
What happens in Interphase-S
DNA replication occurs.
Label the following picture
What type of proteins is made in Interphase-G2?
Proteins that help cells separate chromosomes.
What is cytokinesis?
Draw the process of mitosis
Describe the stages of Mitosis.
- Prophase - DNA visible, spindle fibers form
- Metaphase - Chromosomes allign at equitoral plate
- Anaphase - Chromotids pull forming 2 chromosomes.
- Telophase - spindle fibers break down and nuclear membrane starts to form.
What is the function of the spindle fibers?
To separate chromatids and moves chromosomes around.
What is the function of p53?
Determines if a cell is healthly enough for cell divison.
What is cancer?
Failure to control cell divison
Describe the first stages of Meiosis
- Prophase I - Synpases, muclear membrane starts to break down.
- Metaphase I - Allign on equitoral plate.
- Anaphase I - Homologans Chrom. move to opposite.
- Telphase I - Cell prepares to divide, nuclear membrane starts to form.
Describe Meiositos stage 2
- Prophase II - nuclear membrane starts to disolve.
- Metaphase II - Chrom. allign on equitoral plate.
- Anaphase II - move to opposite sides
- Telophase II - Nuclear membrane starts to reform cell prepares to divide
What is synapsis?
Its when homologous chromosomes move toward one another and associate with one another.
Name 4 differences between Mitosis and Meiosis
- - One divison completes the process
- - Chromosomes do not synpase
- - Homologous chromosomes do not cross-over
- - Mitosis is the replacement of worn out cells and repairs.
- - Mitosis generates somatic cells.
- - Two divisons are required to complete the procress
- - Homologous chromosomes synpase
- - Homologous chromosomes cross-over
- - Daughter cells are genetically different from parent cells.
- - Meiosis generates sex cells.
List 5 characters that contribute to genetic diversity
- Crossing Over
- Independent Assortment
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview