MCAT GC Atomic Struc.
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Fundamental unit of charge
1 AMU, Determines atomic number of element. +1 Charge
No Mass, -1 Charge
6.022x1023; used to determine atomic weight.
6.626x10-34; used to determine energy value
- E= Energy Value of Quantum
- h= Planck's Constant
- f= frequency of radiation
- E = Energy of an electron
- RH = Rydberg Constant
- N = Principle quantum number
(Higher Quantum Number Has Higher Energy)
- E= Electromagnetic Energy
- h = Planck's Constant
- c = speedd of light
- Wav = wavelength
Speed of Light In Vacuum
C = 3.00 x 108m/s
Atomic Absorbtion Spectra
Delta E is the same for any change between absorbing (moving out orbitals) and emitting (Moving in orbitals)
Heisenberg uncertainty principle
It is impossible to simultaneously determine, with perfect accuracy, both position and momentum of an electron.
- Principle Quantum Number
- Determines which shell the electron is in.
- Contains 2n2electrons
- Azimutal (Angular momentum) quantum Number
- l equals all values from 0 to n-1
- Electrons in Subshell = 4l+2
- Magnetic Quantum Number
- All intergers between -l and +l
- There will always be 2l+1 possible values of ml
- Spin Quantum Number
- Only Values of +1/2 and - 1/2
- Used to rank subshells in order of filling
- If a tie occurs the lower n is filled first
Orbitals are filled so there are a maximum number of half-filled orbitals.
Paramagnetic vs. Diamagnetic
Paramagnetic materials are attracted by magnetic fields due to the fact that they have unpaired electrons. Diamagnetic are the opposite.
The electrons in the outer shell that are available for interaction.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview