The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
what is Enterprise Telephony (ET)
is a business telephone system that provides business features, such as call hold, three-way calling, call transfer, and call forwarding.
Both networks are based on the time-division multiplexing (TDM) switching of 64-kbps circuits
Common Infrastructure Model
Bearer channels, call-control, and service planes are contained in one platform.
- Phones can plug "directly" into the switch and receive a dial tone, place and receive phone calls, and so on.
- " the suscriber and the netswitch"
Provides basic services such as call hold, three-way calling, call transfer, and call forwarding.
The ET equivalent to a Class 5 switch
Private Branch eXchange (PBX), supports from five to several thousand local loops.
PBX offer more what then a Class 5 switch
The primary task of a Class 5 switch is to provide
PSTN and ET are different from each other in the way they treat
signaling and advanced features
PBX manufacturers often create WHAT ? to enable their PBXs to intercommunicate and carry additional features transparently throughout the ET voice network
Inbound and outbound call centers—ET networks with this feature usually contain
CTI (Computer-Telephony Integration
hoot n holler
one person speaks and many people listen
PSTN is usually less cost effective than using
Simple Business Line
- Using a line directly from the PSTN as a business line.
- Is normally charged a higher monthly rate.
- Service is provided and managed by the Local Exchange Carrier (LEC) or Challenger LEC (CLEC).
Local Exchange Carrier (LEC)
Challenger LEC (CLEC).
not the primary but give dial tone
Private Branch Exchange (PBX)
- PBX and phones are owned by organization.
- High initial cost, lower maintenance costs.
- Provides many features
- escape diget 9
Direct in Dial (DID)
direct line to someone
private 4 diget dialing to there, not over the public network
- small group of users
- no DID
- Owned by the company
- owned and operated by the LEC or CLEC
- no upfront costs but higher bills
- PSTN contains a private dial plan for the enterprise customer.
- LECs, CLECs, and IXCs can provide VPNs
- Still on public network
Most PBX vendors deliver a majority of features using their own proprietary methods.
At the same time, no telephony platform
supports 100% of the features of
SIP or H.323
between two private endpoints
emporarily stop sending sound to the remote party but hear other side
both parties can hear or talk to each other
send it to another ext
- party to set up conference calls from her
- 3 or more people talking on they phone
blind call transfer
which the transferring party hangs up immediately following the transfer, having no knowledge of the availability of the party to whom the call was transferred.
allows the transferring party to speak with the receiving party prior to making the transfer or merely verify the receiver's availability before completing the transfer
- more then 2 parties to have a call.
- need ss7
hoc conferences in which users can voluntarily join a conference in progress by dialing a code on their phones.
allows the recipient of a phone call to know which endpoint is calling both before and after answering.
"basically caller id"
- anything you need to know about a call.
- includes gauging to whom, when, and to where
- calls were placed so that utilization of the PBX can be fairly accounted for within the enterprise
- Monitors the status of calls in progress throughout the PBX or within a certain scope of users, tell who's on the phone and who's not
- Its a PC without features or a large phone
function—the endpoint can be used to alert the console when an office occupant is in or out of their office
Do not disturb (DND)
- allows each user to silence the ringer on her phone
- "no ringing but goes to voice mail"
send to another ext or cell phone
what PSTN feature facilitates signaling of all advanced calling features, called CLAS (custom local area calling services)
call waiting and 3 way calling
- a form of hold with two line appearances
- "sound in headset so precieved person on hold" music
three way calling
a three party conference call
are one way
both parties talk
when an endpoint broadcasts the voice of the caller over a large group of endpoints simultaneously
the caller can send his voice to a single extension and plays outloud
- records voice messages on behalf of people who aren't available to answer their calls.
- owned by the service provider
a light on the phone saying it has a message waiting.
- are logical, sequential groups of endpoints that ring individually when the phone before them in the sequence is busy or unavailable.
- "my phone then the next one in sequence"
are groups of phones that ring simultaneously until one of them is answered, connecting the call.
is a call-ordering application that keeps people waiting in line in the same order in which the phone system originally fielded their calls.
provides subscriber and inbound callers alike with info about how to reach people in the phone system
theory that the call follows you and connect to that device
one person is connected up to 3 endpoints, but internal person makes the call
Combine the telephony functions of a PBX with database or personal productivity functions on a personal computer or web site.
Interactive voice response (IVR)
an autoattentent that tells the user what button to push
people saying commands
its is used to block calls
outboud call center