Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
- Brand names: Avinza, Kadian, MS Contin, MSIR, Oramorph SR, Roxanol
- indication: Morphine is used to treat moderate to severe pain.
- The safe dosage: 5 to 30 mg every 3 to 4 hours as needed; IM or subcutaneous: 2.5 to 20 mg every 3 to 4 hours as needed; IV: 4 to 15 mg every 3 to 4 hours as needed
- Route: Oral, Sublingual, or Buccal
- can it safely be broken: Do not crush, chew, or break an extended-release TABLET; you may open the extended-release CAPSULE and sprinkle the medicine into a spoonful of applesauce
- allergic information: Do not use morphine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to a narcotic medicine (examples include codeine, methadone, Oxycontin, Darvocet, Percocet, Vicodin, Lortab, and many others). You should also not take morphine if you are having an asthma attack or if you have a bowel obstruction called paralytic ileus.
- side effect: shallow breathing, slow heartbeat; seizure (convulsions); cold, clammy skin; confusion; severe weakness or dizziness; or feeling light-headed, fainting.
- Generic Name: acetaminophen and oxycodone.
- Brand name: Endocet, Magnacet, Percocet, Primalev, Primlev, Roxicet, Tylox, Xolox
- Indication: Percocet contains a combination of oxycodone and acetaminophen. Oxycodone is in a group of drugs called narcotic pain relievers. Acetaminophen is a less potent pain reliever that increases the effects of oxycodone. Percocet is used to relieve moderate to severe pain.
- The safe dosage: Percocet 2.5 mg/325 mg. The usual adult dosage is one or 2 tablets every 6 hours. The total daily dose of acetaminophen should not exceed 4 grams. Percocet 7.5 mg/500 mg; Percocet 10 mg/650 mg. The usual adult dosage is one tablet every 6 hours as needed for pain. The total daily dose of acetaminophen should not exceed 4 grams. Percocet 7.5 mg/325 mg; The usual adult dosage is one tablet every 6 hours as needed for pain. The total daily dose of acetaminophen should not exceed 4 grams.
- Route: Oral solution
- side effect: shallow breathing, slow heartbeat; feeling light-headed, fainting;confusion, unusual thoughts or behavior;seizure (convulsions); problems with urination; or nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes). Less serious Percocet side effects include: feeling dizzy or drowsy; mild nausea, vomiting, upset stomach, constipation; blurred vision; or dry mouth.
- Generic Name: meperidine (me PER i deen)
- Brand Names: Demerol HCl
- indication: Demerol (meperidine) belongs to a group of drugs called narcotic pain relievers. It is similar to morphine. It works by dulling the pain perception center in the brain.Demerol is used to treat moderate-to-severe pain. It may also be used before or during surgery and for pain relief during labor and delivery.
- The safe dosage: Take this medicine with a full glass of water. Take Demerol with food or milk if it causes stomach upset.Adults-the usual dosage is 50 mg to 150 mg orally, every 3 or 4 hours as necessary. Pediatric Patients-the usual dosage is 1.1 mg/kg to 1.8 mg/kg orally, up to the adult dose, every 3 or 4 hours as necessary.
- route: IM/SC/PO/slow IVq3-4hrPRN
- side effect: shallow breathing, slow heartbeat; seizure (convulsions); cold, clammy skin; confusion; severe weakness or dizziness; or feeling light-headed, fainting. Less serious Demerol side effect may include: constipation;nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite; dizziness, headache;dry mouth; sweating; itching; urinating less than usual; or loss of interest in sex.
- Generic Name: acetaminophen
- Brand Names: Tylenol
- Indication: Tylenol (acetaminophen) is a pain reliever and a fever reducer.Tylenol is used to treat many conditions such as headache, muscle aches, arthritis, backache, toothaches, colds, and fevers.
- Generic Name: ibuprofen
- Indication: buprofen is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). Ibuprofen works by reducing hormones that cause inflammation and pain in the body.Ibuprofen is used to reduce fever and treat pain or inflammation caused by many conditions such as headache, toothache, back pain, arthritis, menstrual cramps, or minor injury.
Darvocet, Balacet, Darvocet, Propacet 100.
- Generic Name: acetaminophen and propoxyphene.
- Indication: Darvocet contains a combination of propoxyphene and acetaminophen. Propoxyphene is in a group of drugs called narcotic pain relievers. Acetaminophen is a less potent pain reliever and a fever reducer that increases the effects of propoxyphene. Darvocet is used to relieve mild to moderate pain with or without fever.
Dilaudid, Dilaudid-5, Exalgo
- Generic Name: hydromorphone
- Indication: Dilaudid (hydromorphone) belongs to a group of drugs called narcotic pain relievers, also called opioids. It is similar to morphine.Dilaudid is prescribed for the relief of moderate to severe pain. It works by binding to certain receptors in the brain and nervous system to reduce pain.
- Generic Name: fentanyl transdermal.
- Indication: Duragesic is a skin patch containing fentanyl, a narcotic (opioid) pain medicine.The Duragesic skin patch is used to treat moderate to severe chronic pain. Duragesic is not for treating mild or occasional pain or pain from surgery.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview