Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
- (v) to reject, renounce (zrezygnowac z czegos, zrzec sie, odstapic od czegos)
- To prove his honesty, The president abjured the evil policies of his wicked predecessor.
ABJURE - wypierac sie czegos, odwolywac slowo
- (n) a natural feeling of closeness
- Jerry didn't know why, but he felt an incredible affinity for Kramer the first time they met.
- pokrewienstwo, przyciaganie
- (N) indirect and wordy language
- The professor's habit of speaking in circumlocution made it difficult to follow his lectures.
- (adj) friendly, amiable
- People like to be around George because he is so affable and good-natured.
- uprzejmy, grzeczny, slodki
- amiable - sympatyczny (emiebol)
- (ADJ) hard to comprehend
- Everyone else in the class understood geometry easily, but John found the subject.
- comprehend (n) zrozumiec
- 1. (v) to divide into parts (rozlupac, przeciac, pekac)
- Following the scandalous disgrace of their leader, the entire political party cleaved into warring factions.
- 2. (v) to stick together firmly
- After resolving their marital problems, Junior and Rosa cleaved to one another all the more tightly.
- (adj) extremely skilled - (biegly)
- Tarzan was adept at jumping from tree to tree like a monkey.
- zasmucony, skrzywdzony, dotkniety bolesnie
- (adj) distressed, wronged, injured
- The foreman mercilessly overworked his aggrieved employees.
- distressed - nieszczesliwy, strapiony
- zrzec sie np. stanowiska
- (v) to give up a position, usually one of leadership
- When he realized that the revolutionaries would surely win, the king abdicated his throne.
- agnostyczny, niewierzacy
- (adj.) believing that the existence of God cannot be proven or disproven
- Joey's parents are very religious, but he is agnostic.
- niepomyslny, niekorzystny, wrogi
- (adj) antagonistic, unfavorable, dangerous
- Because of adverse conditions, the hikers decided to give up trying to climb the mountain.
- antaganistic - antagonistyczny, przeciwstawny, wrogi
- (adj) characteristic of informal conversation
- Adam's essay on sexual response in primates was marked down because it cantained too many colloquial expressions.
- wytrzymac np. probe, znosic, dotrzymywac np. obietnicy
- 1. (v) to put up with
- Though he did not agree with the decision, Chuck decided to abide by it.
- 2. (v) to remain -(pozostawac)
- Despite the beating they've taken from the weather throughout the millennia, the mountains abide.
- adj. aware, mindful -(uwazajacy, pamietajacy)
Jake avoided speaking to women in bars because he was cognizant of the fact that drinking impairs judgment.
- cognizance - kompetencja, wiedza
- wyrazinc zgode, przylaczyc sie, przystapic np. do partii, obejmowac np. urzad
- (v) to agree
- When the class asked the teacher whether they could play baseball instead of learn grammar, they expected him to refuse, but instead, he accede to their request.
- calosc, ogol, suma, zespol
- 1. (N) a whole or total, sum
- The three branches of the U.S Government form an aggregate much more powerful than its individual.
- 2. (v) to gather into a mass, assemble, collect, accumulate
- The dictator tried to aggregate as many people into hes army as he possibly could
- gather- zbierac sie, gromadzic sie, gromadzic np. sily
- odroaniac , doszukac sie, rezeznac, rozpoznac,
- (v) to perceive, detect
- Though he hid his emotions, she discern from his body language that he was angry.
- perceive - realize, become aware of through senses.
- zamozny, zasobny, majetny
- (adj) rich, wealthy
- Mrs. Grebelski was affluent, owning a huge house,three cars, and an island near Maine.
- (adj). intelectually convincing
- Irene's arguments in favor of abstinence were so cogent that I could not resist them.
- cogency (n) - sila przekonywania, zdolnosc przekonywania
- skracac, ograniczac
- 1. (v) to cut down, shorten
- The publisher thought the dictionary was too long and abridged it.
- 2. (adj) shortened
- Moby-Dick is such a long book that even the abridged version is longer than most normal books.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview