The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Became a French protectorate in 1830
- Large income from oil exports, petrochemical resources, and possess rich agricultural resources.
- High quality dates produced in oases.
- In immediate post-independence years, single-minded political strength, wisdom, and insight of it’s leaders.
- Gov’t promised long-term benefits, failed, and now it is struggling economically.
- Economy is diversified, with a wide range of basic and processing industries and many consumer-oriented enterprises.
- Manufactures most of the world’s Arabic-language films and TV programs.
- The decline of pan-Arab nationalism of the 50s and 60s and its support for the 1979 Camp David agreements, decreased it’s influence.
- Possess coal and iron resource to develop its own heavy industry without having to import basic materials.
- It has a greater pecentage of usable land than any other country in the region.
- Most powerful and integrate economy in the region.
- A secular state
- Because of the mountains, people move to work as merchants.
- Bananas and citrus fruits, metal goods, processed foods, textiles, and pharmaceuticals.
- Its location resulted in a good living standard and a steadily expanding economy as the Arab hinterland grew in wealth.
- In 2005 a strong anti-Syrian movement resulted in traditional Maronite-Sunni power axis.
- Population is composed of three elements; Palestinians, the pre-1948 settled Arab population and the Bedouin.
- Created post WWI as a British-mandate territory.
- Obstacles of development included significant land-use problems associated with deforestation, overgrazing, and soil erosion, as well as military conflicts with both Israel and supporters of the PLO.
- Resource limitations.
- A homeland in search of a people.
- The bazaar
- Islamic clergy, mullahs/mujtahids.
- The Pahlavi dynasty tried to promote modernization in both society and economy.
- The “White Revolution,” a package of social changes promoted by the monarchy, was intended to further the modernization process.