The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
When should a Standard Letter be used.
Standard Letter –(Naval Letters)Use when dealing w/DOD or outside DOD if they have adopted the format.
Explain the Format of a Letterhead, where should it be placed.
Letterhead Format - typing or stamping a letterhead, begin with “DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY” centered on the fourth line from the top of the page. Center the activity’s name, address and nine-digit ZIP code on succeeding lines.
How long should the Margins be, are their any exceptions to the rule
- Margins – 1 inch, on top, bottom, and sides
- Exceptions, on letterhead paper. Typing starts more than 1 in from the top when letterhead is printed and less than 1 inch if it is typed.
May typing ever pass the 1 inch mark at the bottom of the page
Typing may end more than 1 inch from the bottom of the page that has the signature.
What are the rules for right margins and proportional spacing
Don’t justify right margins and don’t use proportional spacing
What are the parts of a Identification Symbol, Where should they be placed.
- Identification Symbols –
- The SSIC or "In reply refer to" should be printed on the second line below the letterhead
3 parts of the Identification Symbols
- Standard Subject Identification Code (SSIC)
- Originators Code
What does SSIC stand for, what is it, and what does it do. Where can I find this information on its Representations.
SSIC(Standard Subject Identification Code) – four or five digit #, represents subject SECNAVINST 5210.11D
What is a Originator Code what does it include. Where would it be placed
Originator Code – Can be by itself or in a serial number
It is an Office symbol used on all letters w/or without serial number
Placed under SSIC
- When do originator codes require serial numbers Originator Code w/serial number
- Unclassified – does not require serial #
- Classified – requires serial #
When do activities start a new serial number series. How do they assign them
- An activity that uses serial numbers starts a new sequence of numbers at the beginning of each new calendar year and assigns # consecutively
- Ser 13/T132
- 7 Sep 99
Define this Identification Code 5216 SSIC
- Ser 13/T132 Place Code or Ser/No spaces before or after/
- T – Top Secret, S – Secret, C – Confidential
- 132 is the next unused serial #
- Date Dated on the same day signed
- How are Naval Letters and Business letter Dated Naval Letters Dates -
- Express in day/month/year order (1 Jan 98)
- Make sure Jan first letter is capital and only two numbers in year.
agreements, and your thinking behind a standard letter. Type or
handwrite these most informal memorandums.
- WHAT IS THE INFORMATION INCLUDED ON A "MEMORANDUM FOR THE RECORD" DOCUMENT MEMORANDUM FOR THE RECORD
- Subj: MEMORANDUM FOR THE RECORD
- 1. Use a “Memorandum For The Record” (MFR) as an internal document to
- record information in the record that is not recorded elsewhere. Examples
- include such things as results of a meeting, telephone conversations, oral
- agreements, and other relevant information.
- 2. Type or handwrite these most informal memorandums. If it IS only two or three lines, include it on the file copy of your document. Leave out the subject line if you add your MFR to the file copy.
- 3. A full “signature” block and identification symbols are not required: however, it should be dated, signed, and show the signers organizational code.
- M. L. ONES
- WHAT IS ON A PRINTED "FROM-TO" MEMORANDUM DATE: 6 Mar 99
- FROM: Code 30
- TO: Code 301
- SUBJ: PRINTED MEMORANDUM FORM
- Ref: (a) SECNAVINST 5216.50
- Encl: (1) Printed Form
- 1. This printed form is used among individuals and offices of the same activity. Very informal memorandums may be handwritten.
2. The memorandum form comes in two sizes:
- a. OPNAV 5216/144A (8-IL? by 11 inches):
- b. OPNAV 5216/144B (8-1/2 by 5-1/2 inches):
3. The only identification symbol you need is the date, unless local practice calls for
- 4. Use names, titles, or codes in the “From:” and ‘To:” line.
- 5. Type reference and enclosure headings under the printed headings. Note the
- headings for reference (a) and enclosure (1). Aflow a 1 inch left margin
- 6. The writer signs his or her name without the organizational titles.
- What is on a PLAIN-PAPER "FROM-TO" Memorandum MEMORANDUM
- Subj: Plain-PAPER MEMORANDUM
- 1. The plain-paper "from-to" memorandum may be used wihin your activity. It is no more formal than the memorandum form, but it is more flexible when there are multiple addressees, via addressees, or both.
- 2. The only identification symbol you need is the date, unless local practice calls for more. Start typing the date on the sixth line, flush with the right margin.
- 3. Prepare a plain-paper memorandum on white bond.
- What is on a Letterhead Memorandum Subj: Letterhead MEMORANDUM
- 1. When used within an activity the letterhead memorandum provides more
- formality than the printed memorandum form or the plain-paper memorandum.
- 2. A letterhead memorandum maybe sent outside your activity if:
- a. Direct liaison IS authorized,
- b. The matter is routine,
- c. The memo neither makes a commitment nor takes an official stand,
- 3. Generally follow the standard letter format, but type “MEMORANDUM-as
- shown here.
- What is on the Memorandum for Memorandum Subj: THE MEMORANDUM FOR
- 1. The “memorandum for is the most formal of all the memorandums. Senior officials use if to correspond with other senior officials.
- 2. Use letterhead paper and follow the format shown here. In place of me
- “From:” and To:” line, you use an “address” line (see above), Because the “memorandum for” lacks a “From:” line, show the sighner title below the typed name.
- 3. Use multiple addressees as shown above. If an addressee’s title is longer than one line, the second line should be indinted two additional spaces
- What is put on memorandum when requesting approval/disapproval When only requesting an approval/disapproval decision
- From a single addressee, it’s appropriate to type a decision
Block at the left margin, two lines below the signature block in the following format:
Lines or less may be double-spaced.
What is used as the Complimintary Code in a Business Letter Complimentary Close - Use “Sincerely” followed by a comma for the complimentary close of a business letter.
- Signature Block of a business letter is set up how Signature Block - Start all lines of the “signature” block at the center of the page, beginning on the fourth line below
- ‘Sincerely. Type or stamp
Do letterheads belong on Business Letters Because the business letter does not have a “From:” line, every copy that goes to addressees outside your activity must have a letterhead copy (printed, typed, stamped, or reproduced from the original) to show its origin.
Are Indentification sybols on the second page of a business letter Identifying Second and Succeeding Pages. Repeat the identification symbols, from the first page, on the sixth line from the top at the right margin. Continue the text beginning on the second line below the identification symbols.