Dopamine Mechanism of Action:
- Naturally occurring catecholamine that is the chemical precursor of norepinephrine. Is generally dose dependant on its effects.
- 1-2 μg/kg/min--dopaminergic receptors--dilation of renal, mesenteric, and cerebral arteries
- 2-10 μg/kg/min--beta receptors--inotropic, chronotropic
- 10-20 μg/kg/min--alpha & beta--vasoconstriction of renal, mesenteric, and peripheral arteries and veins
- >20 μg/kg/min--Mimics pure alpha effects similar, to norepinepherine like effects. It is occasionally used at this range in-hospital.