A fungus that causes systemic disease, most commonly of the lungs, and is characterized by its production of tuberculate chlamydospores in culture is
A) Actinomyces israelii.
B) Microsponum cants.
C) Histoplasma capsulatum
D) Mycoplasma hominis.
E) Leptospira pomona.
4 Systemic Mycoses
- dimorphic fungi (mold in soil, yeast in tissue) except coccidiodomycosis
- Mold= cold; Heat=yeast
- all can cause PNEUMONIA and DISSEMINATE
- SYSTEMIC MYCOSES mimics TB (granulomas)
Tx: fluconazole or ketoconazole
1. Histoplasmosis- causes pneumonia
- Mississippi and Ohio R. Valleys
- bird or bat droppings
- intracellular (tiny yeast inside macrophages)
*** "Histo"="histiocyte" tissue macrophage
2. Blastomycosis= Big, Broad, Budding
3. Coccidiomycosis- California
- pneumonia and meningitis
- SPHERULE filled w/ endospores
- valley fever
(this multiple choice question has been scrambled)