Micro Final Study guide
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Who discovered the antibiotic sulfanilamide?
What are the desirable general characteristics of antimicrobial drugs?
- Selective toxicity
- Broad-spectrum of activity
- Bactericidal rather than bacateriostatic
To be effective a drug must be what?
- Effect of an agent may vary
- -with concentration, microbe, host
- Effectiveness expressed in two ways
- -Minimal inhibitory concentration (MIC)
- --lowest concentration of drug that inhibits growth of pathogen
- --body concentration must be higher than MIC to be effective
- -Minimal lethal concentration (MLC)
- --lowest concentration of drug that kills pathogen (organism fails to recover when drug removed)
What are the mechanisms of action for antibacterial drugs?
- inhibitors of cell wall synthesis
- protein synthesis inhibitors
- metabloic anatagonists
- RNA and DNA synthesis inhibition
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview