Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Thermal Energy and Thermodynamics: 38
Thermal energy represents the total internal energy of an onject, the sum of its molecular kinetic and potential energies.
Thermal Energy and Thermodynamics: 39
Kinetic theory relates the average kinetic energy of the molecules in a gas to the temperature of the gas in Kelvins.
Thermal Energy and Thermodynamics: 40
First Law of Thermodynamics: ∆U = W + Q Where W is the work done ON the system
Thermal Energy and Thermodynamics: 41
- Thermodynamics Processes:
- Adiabatic process: Q = 0
- Isovolumetric (isochoric) process: W = 0
- Isothermal process: ∆U = 0
- Isobaric process: ∆U = W + Q
Thermal Energy and Thermodynamics: 42
On a PV diagram, if cycle is clockwise the system is a heat engine and the net work is nagative. If the cycle is counter clockwise the system is a refrigerator and the net work is positive.
Thermal Energy and Thermodynamics: 43
Carnot cycles involve only isothermal and adiabatic processes. To determine the efficiency use the Kelvin temp. of the resevoirs.
Thermal Energy and Thermodynamics: 44
- Second Law of Thermodynamcis:
- Heat flows naturally from an object at a higher temperature to one of a lower temperature.
- All natural systems rend toward a state of higher disorder (entropy)
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview