The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Target value for HbA1c
7% or lower
Ketosis and ketoacidosis occur more frequently in persons who have type _____ diabetes, caused by _________ __________.
Type 1 diabetes; caused by insulin deficiency
A nurse caring for a patient who has diabetic ketoacidosis recognizes what kind of characteristics in the patient...
- Altered fat metabolism leading to ketones
- Sudden onset, triggered by acute illness
- Plasma osmolarity of 300 to 320 mOsm/L (norm is 285 to 295)
- New type of antidiabetic medication
- Used as a supplement at meal time for patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes
- Adverse reaction of most concern: Hypoglycemia (sweating, tremors, tachycardia)
Something that should be included in a teaching plan for a patient taking lispro (Humalog) ....
- "Inject this insulin with your first bite of food becuase it is very fast acting."
- Rapid-acting insulin, and has an onset of 15 to 30 minutes with a peak action of about 2 hours
- Should be administered with meals becuase of its rapid onset
- Must be combined with intermediate- or long-acting insulin for glucose control between meals and at night
High doses of levothyroxine (Synthroid) may cause ____________
- Thyrotoxicosis: condition of profound excess thyroid activity
- Tachycardia would be a priority assessment as it may lead to severe cardiac dysfunction
- Other syptoms: tremors, insomnia, and irritability