Guidelines for Writing Goals/ Desired Outcomes
1. Write goals and outcomes in terms of client responses, not nurse activities - begins statement with "the client will..."
2. Be sure that desired outcomes are realistic for the client's capabilities, linitations, and designated time span (if indicated)
3. Ensure that the goals and desired outcomes are compatible with the therapies of other professions
4. Make sure that each goal is derived from only one nursing diagnosis
5. Use observable, measurable terms for outcomes
6. Make sure client considers the goals/ desired outcomes important and values them