- Chemical – which makes up all
- the organisms. It involves the interactions between atoms and their molecule
- combination. The function of a molecule is relevant to its structure.
- Cellular – Molecules combined
- form this characteristic. Cells are the basic structural and functional units
- of an organism. Many cells differ in structure and function, but many
- characteristics are shared.
- Tissue – This is where groups
- of cells with similar function and structure form together. There are four
- types of tissues
i. Epithelial – covers the organs
ii. Connective – connects bones etc.
iii. Muscle tissue
iv. Nervous tissue – gives orders to other parts of the body
- Organ – Two or more tissues
- joined together. Each organ has a specific shape and function e.g. eyes, heart,
- System – A group of organs
- grouped together because of a particular function. There are 11 systems.
- Organismal – This is the
- largest characteristic. Any living thing considered as a whole defines it. Not
- dependent on the number of cells.