The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
caused by hyposecretion of the somatotropic hormone prior to puberty (results in short statuture poor growth and failure to thrive)
most common form of dwarfism and is also caused by hyposecretion of somatropichormone prior to puberty
a disorder of excess somatotropichormone production by the pituitary prior to epiphysial closure thereby causing long bones to continue to grow
disorder of excess strototrpic hormone productionby the pituitary gland in adults (does not affect height
hypersecretionof the thyroid gland hormones
*antithyroid drugs: radioactive iodine
caused by lack of systemic iodine which causes a decrease in thyroxine
- Overproduction of thyroxine
- autoimmune response
- Simple Goiter
- Grave's Disease
occurs during a child neural development and is caused by untreated maternal hypothyrodism or prolonged nutrional deficiency of iodine
- bystrophy of bones
- Lowered basal metabolism
Caused by surgical removal of thyroid, radioactive therapy or drugs that can cause thyroid toxicity
most common form of hypothyroidism caused by an auto immune response to the thyroid glands
Drug Treatment of Hypothyroidism
Drug Class: Thyroid Replacement principle treatment
Drug Treatment of Hyperthyroidism
Drug class: Thioamides
Increased calcium ion concentration results to
cardiac muscle spasm sluggish nerve transmission and kidney gall stones
usually caused by the growth of the tumor on one of the parathyroid glands
- Hypersecretion of glucocoroticoids
- Stimulates the adrenal cortex to produce glucocorticoids
- "moon face"
- "buffalo hump"
- hypersycretion of aldosterone leads to high blood pressure
Hypersycretion Disorders of adrenal Cortex
diseases include cushings disease and alderonism
causes water retention and increase the fluid volume in the body thereby blood voume and ultimately boold pressure
Treatment for Adrenal Cortex Hyposecretion
Hyposecretion of Adrenal Cortex......
Hypoaldosterism and Addisons disesae
- hyposycretion of the gluco and mineralocorticoids
- low blood pressure
- eventually death!!!!
hyposecretion of aldosterone which leads to hypotension.(causes opposte effect of aldosteronism)
- Elimination of sodium
- Retention of potassium by kidneys
an adrenal gland disorder associated with a tumor or multiple tumors which will cause the excretion of excess amounts of catecholimines
- an endocrine pancres disorder means there is too much iinsulin in the blood which results to hyperglycemia
- high levels of glucose in the blood
- a disorder of metabolism that involves glucose utilization.
- chronic disorder in which the body can not properly convert food into energy
type II diabetes
adult onset important risk factor is obesity
Type I diabetes
- autoimmmune disease total absence of inlsulin (occurs between 8-14yrs)
- Symptoms: hyperglycemia, polyuria, polydipsia and polyphagia
occurs only during pregnancy affects the way body uses glucose body unable to make and use all the insulinit needs for pregnancy.
Treatment of Diabetes Mellitus
- Thiazolidinedions insulin
- Alpha- glucosidase inhibitors