The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- temporal related to or limited by time:
- *the temporal character of human existence
- conversely used when one situation is the opposite of another:
- *American consumers prefer white eggs; conversely, British buyers like brown eggs.
- Interpretation: the way in which someone explains or understands an event, information, someone's actions etc:
- *One possible interpretation is that they want you to resignWhat exactly the author meant by that statement is open to interpretation (=able to be understood or explained in different ways).
Spike train: A spike train is a series of discrete action potentials from a neuron taken as a time series, sometimes referred to as temporal coding. This string of neuronal firing may be generated spontaneously or as a response to some external stimulus.
- Diverse: very different from each other:
- *subjects as diverse as pop music and archaeology
reside: to live in a particular place:
- deviation: a noticeable difference from what is expected or acceptable.
- *deviation from the normal procedure
- a priori: using previous experiences or facts to decide what the likely result or effect of something will be
- *a ruling made on a priori grounds
intrinsic: being part of the nature or character of someone or something
presume: to think that something is true, although you are not certain [=assume]
- variation :a difference between similar things, or a change from the usual amount or form of something
- *White bread is really just a variation of French bread.
- *variation in the quality of the rugs
- *There is a great deal of variation among the responses.
- *The study concluded that the variation between the CD players was very small.
- 1)not well known and usually not very important:
- *an obscure poet
- 2) difficult to understand: *obscure legal phrases
- An opinion, piece of information, result etc that is skewed is incorrect, especially because it has been affected by a particular thing or because you do not know all the facts
- *The media's coverage of the election has been skewed from the very beginning.
- [formal]:if there is a preponderance of people or things of a particular type in a group, there are more of that type than of any other:
- *There is a preponderance of female students in the music department.
- Consecutive: consecutive numbers or periods of time follow one after the other without any interruptions
- *It had rained for four consecutive days.
- transient[formal] continuing only for a short time:
- *transient fashions
- working or staying somewhere for only a short time:
- *a transient population
- [transitive]: to use your power, influence etc in order to make something happen:
- *They exerted considerable influence within the school.