The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Using an example of communication from our class sessions, use the communication model from the textbook to analyze that experience.
- Communicator 1
- Sends messages
- Non Verbal
- Uses channels to send message
- Video Conference
- Face to Face
- When the receiver does not attribute the same
- meaning as sender
- Communicator 2 (receiver/sender)
- Feedback ( sending return message)
- Uses channels to return feedback
Discuss 5 criteria for evaluating communication effectiveness. Give example
- Attitude Influence
- Improved Relations
Discuss the 6 differences between supportive and and defensive communication styles.
- Evaluation vs Description
- Control vs Problem Orientation
- Strategy vs Spontaneity
- Apathy vs Empathy
- Superiorority vs Equality
- Certainty vs Flexibility
Discuss the factors to consider when using critical listening with a speaker's use of definition, examples, analogies, statistics, and quotes.
The factors could include:
- Using the elements to convey a certain bias towards the subject
- Determine the credibility of the speaker
Discuss Hersey and Blanchard’s situational leadership model
in relation to your in-class
scores on the T-P Leadership profile. What does this information tell
you about how to communicate more effectively with others?
I scored 15 on task and 10 on people. This tells me I am task oriented and I have room for improvement on the people side.
This also tells me that I am able to adjust my communication style towards a given situation.
Discuss the information in the chapter on “the Nonverbal
message” that you found to be
helpful. How can you use this information to help you communicate more effectively?
One item I found that could be helpful is “mirroring” the movements of another person and how this could lead to reaching an agreement 67% of the time according to the study by Maddux, Mullen, and Glinsky.
- I could use this when I am trying to convince somebody to do a
- particular task or to get them to see that my suggestion would be the best