The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What is the definition of whiplash?
An acceleration-deceleration injury to the head and neck.
Cervical acceleration/deceleration injury
What type of collision results in more long-term symptoms?
Whiplash associated disorder
Four stages of rear-impact whiplash
- Phase 1- get taller, compression
- Phase 2- neck in hyperextension, facet joints get compressed
- Phase 3- peak forward acceleration
- Phase 4- neck/head hyperflexion
At what phase of whiplash are the anterior neck muscles and ligaments overstretched?
What factors can influence the severity of a rear-impact whiplash?
- Head position
- Seat back position
- Persons' height
When will a person begin to feel pain with whiplash?
24-48 hours after accident
During the acute stage, what type of testing should be done?
What type of treatment is indicated for direct work over whiplash injure site during acute phase?
Lymphatic drainage technique
What positions are indicated with someone with a chronic case of whiplash?
At what stage of whiplash can cross-fiber frictions be applied to a specific injury site?
When should a whiplash treatment plan be totally reassessed?
After 6 weeks
Three causes of whiplash
- Motor vehicle accident (MVA)
- Contact sport collision
If injury is acute (up to 72 hours) do not remove...
Should a therapist use long muscle stripping on the anterior or lateral neck?
No; due to endangerment sites
Whiplash treatment modifications
- If acute- don't remove protective spasming
- Don't sue long muscle stripping on anterior or lateral neck due to endangerments
- Avoid extreme stretches
- Never work neck bilaterally at the same time
- Adjust for medication
- Cross-fiber work on muscle tissue is donw with muscle in a slack position- legaments and tendons are held taut
- Document well as a lawyer may become involved.